PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-rumped Warbler on Jack Pine Cone.

Daniel Cadieux
05-10-2015, 06:55 PM
While scouting a new spot I found a dead and fallen Jack Pine tree that had many wonderful dry cone-laden branches to provide for perches. I set it up in an open spot, called in this fella that I could hear in the distance, and it more than obliged to try my perch. I did not expect it to actually land on a cone, but that was a cool bonus :-)

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, about 80% FF, lightened under the belly and throat (sun was getting a touch high at this point), darkened the cones and the pupil. Audio used.

gail bisson
05-10-2015, 07:00 PM
I really like that this little guy is perched on the cone. Great BG.
I would crop in from the right hand side a bit to eliminate the bisected cone.
Excellent IQ,
Gail

christopher galeski
05-11-2015, 12:27 AM
nice image,love the BG,perching on the cone a bonus,nice detail in the subject,great light,agree on cropping a bit from right,to get rid of part cone,and may be a tad from left.TFS.

Daniel Cadieux
05-11-2015, 04:29 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I was (and am)torn on that rightmost cone. I did create a version without it for my files....

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Really lovely image Daniel. I think a pano crop would work well here with less room above. Lovely BG.

Shawn Zierman
05-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Great perch! A lovely plumed male specimen for this species...I do enjoy the more richly dark individuals like this...(older bird I guess)....I agree with the suggestion to crop out the cone on the right hand side....you are usually so controlling on the edge of the frame, I was suprised to see that you left it...

Jim Crosswell
05-11-2015, 03:04 PM
A real beauty Daniel! I like how the perch runs through the frame, IQ, exposure and sweet BG. I too would take a little off the right and a bit off the left.

Karl Egressy
05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Nice perch and background. Great to have one in the open, Daniel.