PDA

View Full Version : Glades' Halloween Pennant

chad anderson
05-31-2008, 11:06 AM
BPN,

This was taken during a week long trip around the smaller and less traveled preserves in southern Florida. It is a Halloween Pennant (Celithemis eponina) I believe.

Canon 300 f/4 L IS+ 1.4X
5.6, 1/640, ISO 400, Av -1/3

Thanks,

Chad
www.exposingfloridaphotograph.smugmug.com (http://www.exposingfloridaphotograph.smugmug.com)

Gus Cobos
05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Well done Chad,
I like the habitat mix of greens and brown hues. It really compliments your dragonfly. The little fellow is nice and sharp. Love the wing spread...:cool:

Gus Cobos
05-31-2008, 04:21 PM
P.S. was looking at your subject a little bit closer; and it seems that the point of focus is not on the eye, but on the right wing. The eye is soft...:eek:

Mike Moats
06-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey Chad, agree with Gus that the main focus needs to be on the eye. These guys can land in some cluttered surroundings and make it tough to get that nice clean solid BG, always explore different angles to shoot that may help clean up the BG.

Julie Kenward
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
It's a beautiful image and that BG is truly sweet. Love your composition and agree to sharpen up that eye just a bit.

Bob Allen
06-04-2008, 11:21 AM
The colors of bg and subject are outstanding. I would crop a bit (1-2 cm) off the right edge to throw the head off-center. The bright yellow in lower center is distracting. Might be interesting to crop the bottom too, to make it into a panorama-style image. The sedge (plant perch) & d'fly legs on it seem sharp enough. More DOF is needed to get the eyes, body, and legs in focus simultaneously, f/8 perhaps would still keep the bg out of focus.

chad anderson
06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi,

It seems some of you'll may have liked this typical dragonfly shot better. I liked the so called "cluttered" bkgrd of the orginal post because of nice lines and colors.If you notice on this shot the eyes of these dragonflies never look in focus.In the full size image of the original post you can see that the area of focus extends from the blade of grass through the wing. Glad some of you enjoyed it also, thanks to all for the comments.

David Chauvin
06-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Chad,,,,,for what it's worth, I'm with you on the bg. It's much more of a challenge to get a "pleasing clutter" than the vanilla flat matte.

chad anderson
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Chad,,,,,for what it's worth, I'm with you on the bg. It's much more of a challenge to get a "pleasing clutter" than the vanilla flat matte.

Amen to that!!!