View Full Version : Black-Crowned Night Heron

Gabi Sandu
05-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Nikon D300S, 500mm, f8, 1/1600, iso-500
All C&C are welcome!!!

Gabriela Plesea
05-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Hello Gabi, or rather "Buna Seara" in Romanian:wave:

Thank you for sharing this lovely image - beautiful Heron in flight, god DOF, well exposed, sharpness is there and good detail.

Not sure what is your position on cloning, if this were mine I would remove the OOF birds, I find them a tad distracting.

Very interested to see more from you, I notice you already have 32 threads but I somehow missed them all:tinysmile_shy_t:, sorry! I grew up in Romania but moved to South Africa long before the photography bug got me, at the time I did not pay much attention to avian species. I enjoyed viewing this, hope you can share more images of birds that occur in your area, be it endemic or just summer visitors:)

Hope you have a lovely evening,

Kind regards,

Gabi Sandu
05-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Hei Gabriela. Nice to meet you here.:)
Thanks for the comment.:)
The OOF are not birds, is reed.:) Anyway, I have not removed because i thought the image is less boring. But sure it can be cloned easily.

Gabriela Plesea
05-10-2015, 12:45 PM
I see Gabi, thank you so much for your explanation:)

Regarding reeds, it is entirely up to you whether you decide to remove, of course. I personally think they would have added to the image if they were more in focus, although I understand where you were going by including them.

Forgot to mention... I am quite taken with this long white feather of this Heron - wondering if it has something to do with the breeding season, or it is just there to make him look attractive to the females all day long?:bg3:

Have a super evening,

Daniel Cadieux
05-10-2015, 02:12 PM
A good look at the near wing's shape and length! I do wish the far wing was lower too. Neat trailing feet, and the red eye stands out nicely. I do seem to detect a bit of subject motion blur on said eye though. I understand your position in regards to the reeds, but in this case they are quite faint and distract rather than add to the image IMO.

Gabi Sandu
05-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Thanks Gabriela and Daniel for comments and tips.:)

Forgot to mention... I am quite taken with this long white feather of this Heron - wondering if it has something to do with the breeding season, or it is just there to make him look attractive to the females all day long?:bg3:

Have a super evening,
Can be. Who knows.:bg3:
Nice evening too.

Karl Egressy
05-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Nice flight shot of an excellent bird.
The 1/1600 sec speed is a little slow for BIF shooting.
In your case you could have gone to f 5.6 and 1/2500 s.
Next time.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-11-2015, 07:23 AM
I'd like more room behind it. Looks like the edge is chasing the bird if you know what I mean.
Very clear detail, nice exposure and overall pose. A really strong flight shot.