PDA

View Full Version : Resting Harlequin

Carolyn Arnesen
05-08-2015, 05:21 PM
As of 2 weeks ago, the Harlequin had not yet migrated north, and I found these birds resting and preening on the Barnegat Jetty. I was hoping for a similar head turn from the female as the male, but it wasn't to be. I like this image but am not sure if the OOF bird in the LRC helps or hurts it. I removed a small OOF area partly obscuring the LRC duck using patch and content aware tools, and also increased contrast, vibrance, and sharpened the birds.

HH FF 7D 300mm+1.4x f/7.1 1/1000 ISO 640

C&C Welcome

John Goldman
05-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Similar head angles and greater DOF to have the female in focus surely would help. For me, the OOF bird in the LR kills the image. The female clipped tail is also a detriment.

Carolyn Arnesen
05-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback, John.

Diane Miller
05-10-2015, 07:24 PM
The OOF one in the FG is unconventional, but at least the main subject is looking at her, and she is balanced by the other OOF one. Would love to see more on the left, and the darks could be a little darker.

Would be difficult but maybe not impossible to clone out the FG one, if you desired.

I so often wish for a peashooter to try to budge a bird that's in my way.

Carolyn Arnesen
05-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Diane. Your comments are very helpful. My PP skills are a work in progress, so this was an experiment. 152101

Diane Miller
05-10-2015, 10:42 PM
OK!! Very good!! PP is an endless journey, subject to many methods and styles, and is SO worth learning. The capture, important as it is, is just the beginning. Keep at it and keep posting. That's the only way to learn.

Compare this with just a little off the right side -- lots of empty space there now....

Sandy Witvoet
05-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Most excellent RP Carolyn! Cloning out the female really did help bring focus back to the beautiful male.... I also like the "disinterested" female behind him. (and good to see all her tail in the frame now too!) :S3: