PDA

View Full Version : Flashy Christmas Cactus

Russ Norwood
05-08-2015, 02:18 PM
This shot is the product of a lighting experiment using two small hot-shoe-type strobes triggered remotely. Background is late afternoon light from a west-facing window with a diffuser between the window and the flower. I bounced one strobe off the background diffuser to brighten it and I added fill flash from a second strobe to define & brighten the flower.

Canon 40D
100mm F2.8
Manual exposure 1/250 at F22
ISO 100

Russ Norwood

Cheryl Slechta
05-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi, Russ, welcome to OOTB:S3: Your lighting technique seems to have worked well. I think the image is nice and sharp throughout although I would like a little more detail in the pollen on the main stamens but you might have more detail in a larger image. The composition is very nice and I really like the subtle background. I'm thinking this would be a candidate for the Macro Forum.

Russ Norwood
05-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks Cheryl, for the critique and the observation about posting. I'm still relatively new here and should have spent more time on this forum before posting. Apologies to all. If you can move it to the macro forum for me I'd appreciate it.

Cheryl Slechta
05-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Hi, Russ, no apologies needed:S3: We have lots of flower images here and this one is very nice. I'll see about getting it moved for you. I checked out your last Macro post of the pickerel weed and it would have been a great image for OOTB. You can post in both forums so if you'd like to post it here that would be great.

Russ Norwood
05-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks Cheryl. I'll do that! Looking forward to the feedback.

Russ

Diane Miller
05-10-2015, 06:38 PM
I love the lighting and detail here! Look forward to seeing more!

Jonathan Ashton
05-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Russ welcome to macro, if this is a sign of things to come lets have some more! Super image wonderfully sharp, I really like the colours. Whilst the pollen may not actually be blown I would consider lowering the brightness there a tad, this would give more detail.