PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Flower.

David Cowling
05-07-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't know the name of this flower but believe it is quite rare and may only be found in or around the small geographical area in which I photographed it. On the other hand I may be totally wrong and it is abundant everywhere!! The flower is about 1/2 inch in diameter. IQ is not quite as good as I would have liked as I didn't have a macro lens or tripod with me and had to flash it.

Taken with a 175mm panasonic lens plus 1.6 diopter sigma sulpementary lens on a 2x crop micro 4/3 body.

1/250 @ f 16 : ISO 200

John Robinson
05-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Looks pretty good to me with that gear David.
It looks a bit like One flowered Wintergreen (Moneses uniflora) It is very rare in pine woods in Scotland. I'm not sure anyway but it lookslike that family. Google it - see what you thnk
Cheers
John

Jerry van Dijk
05-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Wonderful capture despite having no macro lens. I like the colors and light, as well as all the intricate details on the flower. I believe this is Parnassia palustris, not Moneses uniflora. Here in Holland its quite rare, I'm not sure of it's status in the UK. You would find it in dune areas and in wet fen grasslands. It needs calcareous groundwater to thrive, which is quite rare in our country where groundwater levels are highly managed for agriculture. That's why most plants associated with upwelling calcareous groundwater are rare as well.

John Robinson
05-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Well done Jerry- go to the top of the class. It actually occurs in my county here but the flowers look different somehow. Just found a reference to cultivated forms too.
Nice plant any way .Appears to be quire widespread and common in some localities here.
JohnR

David Cowling
05-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks John and Jerry and a great job on the ID Jerry. i think that it is perhaps this particular species of flower head which is confined to this location. Such beauty and intricacy in one small flower.

Jerry van Dijk
05-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Well done Jerry- go to the top of the class.

I should be, I teach plant ecology in university... :S3:! We're actually setting up a greenhouse experiment with this species to see how it responds to eutrophication.

John Robinson
05-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Hi Jerry Yes I knew your background a while back.
If the plant responds to enrichment in the wild like around here it will be gone in a year or two. All our county sites have now gone through that very problem ( and lack of grazing)
John

Diane Miller
05-10-2015, 06:50 PM
It's lovely, and well-captured! There so often seems to be a pesky OOF front edge to one petal, but the rest of the lovely detail makes that trivial, for me.