PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Pickerel Weed

Russ Norwood
05-07-2015, 09:24 AM
I saw this backlit scene while trying to photograph wading birds in Louisiana's Maurepas swamp. Shooting into the sun with a 500mm lens and 1.4TC gave it an ethereal look very different from what I usually try to capture. Pickerel weed (Pontederia cordata) is a very common aquatic plant in South Louisiana.

Other than removal of a single leaf the only processing involved levels and a touch of vibrance in Lightroom.

Canon 1DX
ISO 1600
f9 at 1/125
+1 EV compensation

Russ Norwood

John Robinson
05-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Thats a grand shot with a superb backdrop to add to it. Excellent !
We can sometimes get this plant at aquatic centres over here.
JohnR

David Cowling
05-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Hi Russ. I wasn't too sure at first, but the more I look the more I like it. The main subject is very well exposed and the plant life in the background adds a great deal of interest. The blue of the flower petals is gorgeous. Did the birds finally appear?

Russ Norwood
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Thanks very much David. Yes, the birds appeared and cooperated. Morning light was beautiful and I came away with some of my very best avian images that morning. I've gone to the same location often, but I'll remember that morning for a long time.

Russ

Jerry van Dijk
05-07-2015, 04:05 PM
That BG is spectacular and the color combination in this image is gorgeous! I'm not sure about the flower though. You managed to capture the fragility of this flower, but it looks a little soft for my taste.

Diane Miller
05-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Amazing BG -- I would have taken this for a composite! Hope to see more!

Jonathan Ashton
05-12-2015, 02:24 PM
A very interesting image indeed. I like the treatment/processing, another unusual image to appreciate. I wonder if it may have even more impact if the delicacy was retained whilst increasing contrast just a little, I think this would also make the flower appear a little sharper.