PDA

View Full Version : Look me in the Grebe eyes

Andreas Liedmann
05-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Hi all another Grebe frame from the same location as previous posting.
Last image was taken early morning ,this was taken early evening in some nice light , the yellows in the BG are reflections from the reeds.

I like the frontal look of the Grebe to the viewer in this one the most .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 500 IS L II + 2xTC
HH lying flat on the ground on a small jetty .

F 9 ; Iso 5000 ; 1/1250 sec ; man exp. Auto ISO

Processed with Canon DPP and PS CC ; cropped for comp from all sides . No NR at all :Whoa!:.

Thanks for looking and commenting to previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi Andreas, I like the head angle where it's slightly tilted down and the face to camera, plus the funky hair do, DoF looks spot on. Those eyes are so piercing, but the light looks deceiving compared to the techs. Hope you get some where they are exchanging weed (vegetation) or doing their dance. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks Steve for your comment , much appreciated .
I had one chance for your request .......... but i have blown the HL completely on the breast :e3, all the rest was just perfect i.e. the angle of the birds . D... rookie i am from time to time.

Ps what means "light looks deceiving compared to the techs " ?

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2015, 03:02 PM
i have blown the HL completely on the breast

Nothing, not even a hint, just white????? I assume you have tried Alpha channels/Luminosity etc????

"light looks deceiving compared to the techs " ?

The day looks quite nice, but am viewing the image on the laptop. However, you needed ISO 5000 to retain the SS & DoF, so light may not have been ideal, plus you are using the 2x. There will, I'm sure be a next time. :S3:

Treat yourself to an Angle Finder, then you can go lower.

Alan Murphy
05-06-2015, 04:54 PM
The water color makes this one for me. The bird is great too.

Rachel Hollander
05-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Hi Andreas - Great head on pose and feather detail. The golden bg is pleasing and the bow wave adds to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Kimbrell
05-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Love the direct stare, It really displays those unique eyes well. Noise looks minimal at 5000 ISO Well done.

Karl Egressy
05-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Wow, it is a really cool image.

Daniel Cadieux
05-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Awesome punk-rocker of a bird! Nice low angle, down-the-barrel stare, colours.

Gabriela Plesea
05-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Hello Andreas!

No need for NR and this is one cracking image at ISO 5000:5

I absolutely adore the pose you have captured and cannot help it but smile from ear to ear as I am typing this comment... love the BG and colours, that bit of reflection and the water ripples. But specially those bright red eyes!

You might have blown the HL but not completely, I see you recovered a decent amount of detail. Nice and sharp and IQ is great -I really like this very much Boetie:bg3:

Warmest regards,

Andreas Liedmann
05-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much folks for your kind comments , much appreciate your input .

Gabriela yes the HL are completely blown in little parts as being wet feathers strongly hit by the sun , i could have removed them ........ but i was too lazy !!

Steve no chance of getting lower , was already lying with my chin in the wooden jetty , so not even a angle viewfinder would have helped :t3. I have tried to lean over with the angle view finder attached , but i was actually afraid after some seconds that i might drop the lens into the lake !!!

Thanks again , Andreas

David Salem
05-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Love the head on stare and the hair do. The colors and details look great also. I might be tempted to selectively lighten the right eye and face just a little. I think you can make it unnoticeable and improve an already beautiful image by just a little. Well done Andreas