PDA

View Full Version : Greylag Goose

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Compared to many images posted here in Avian, especially the flight ones, this is perhaps bordering on almost 'pedestrian/boring' however I just quite liked the detail created in the plumage, the visible serrated bill and the 'S' shape of the neck created as the Goose rested it's head.

Shot whilst waiting for the Little owls to show up, I just took a few frames of this subject who was quite happy to sit & preen as there is a small pond nearby where Moorhens are nesting and a heron always swings by first thing in the morning, but I've never seen these here before.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Greylag Goose (Anser Anser), side on, head resting on neck
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 with 1.4ext
Exposure: 1/1250's at f/8 ISO800
Original format: Landscape, cropped more from the right, although I personally prefer more to look into???

keith mitchell
05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Good to see a shot like this Steve, it just shows what you can do with a so called common bird, detail colour and exposure looks spot on to me, nice clean BG, sorry can't find any nits.

Cheers Keith.

Joseph Przybyla
05-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Exposure, detail, color spot on. Thanks for showing me how it should be. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Cheers Keith, still hoping to see more from your own trips. :S3:

Thanks Joseph, if you are talking about the Burrowing Owl, no worries, hope it helps, or in some way gives a direction to things, let me know how you do.

Alan Murphy
05-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Steve, with the shoulder taking up a large part of the frame, I feel this would be better if it was in focus. More DOF. The head looks amazing.

Rachel Hollander
05-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Steve - Incredible detail and I like the tones and colors too. You know I like negative space so I am wondering what it looked like before the crop from the right.

TFS,
Rachel

Karl Egressy
05-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Nice portrait shot, Steve. I would take off from the bottom and add the same amount to the top.
Details are excellent.

Steve Kaluski
05-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Thanks guys.

I am wondering what it looked like before the crop from the right.

Rachel I'll add it in later today so you can compare. cheers.

I feel this would be better if it was in focus. More DOF.

Hi Alan, how much f/16, in the instance not a problem as I had the SS/ISO? I just felt it needed that 'layering' of elements, so you stepped beck, if you know what I mean?

I would take off from the bottom and add the same amount to the top.

Hi Karl, if you take more off at the foot, then I think it may give the impression of 'slipping' down, out of frame, so to speak. I also feel it needs weight at the bottom so the subject has something to rest on, but appreciate the suggestion, thanks.

Gerald Kelberg
05-07-2015, 04:07 AM
I really like the curve from the shoulder up to the head of the goose; the detail of the plumage is outstanding - really excellent image quality - clean and clear; the light is just sufficiently off direction to create some nice shadows to enhance the form. Good to see how it is done!

Also enjoy the fact we are discussing the image and not just admiring it!

Thanks for sharing!

Gerald

Daniel Cadieux
05-07-2015, 11:18 AM
The head and neck look quite amazing indeed. Superb details. The bill looks great with those colours and visible serrations. Fantastic BG. Yes, stopping down would have helped for the shoulder, but you would not have been able to get it all in focus from such close proximity. Still works very well as presented.

Gabriela Plesea
05-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Dear Steve,

Another one of those enviable images I am used to seeing from you - superb clarity and noise-free, this frame shows every minute detail on the subject. I bet all you did here was basic exposure, curve adjustment and some small bits of "fine tuning":w3

Beautifully exposed and the light falls in just the right places creating a dramatic feel, wonderful rich colours and perfect image design - superb work, Sir.

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
05-07-2015, 12:37 PM
but you would not have been able to get it all in focus from such close proximity.

Dan, for me that is the 'Holly Grail' :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Steve a somehow graphic approach , well seen and executed in the field ...... while waiting for your main subjects . So a very fine side product of yours :wave:.
The expected IQ and great PP work is clearly visible ...... so you did not disappoint me :bg3:.
Love the clarity /sharpness in this one specially !!! So no real crit from my side , sadly nothing to discuss with you , LOL!!

Cheers and TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-08-2015, 04:23 AM
You know I like negative space so I am wondering what it looked like before the crop from the right.

Here you go. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
05-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Thanks Steve - in this case I prefer the op, it just seems to have a bit more life to it.