PDA

View Full Version : 5000th Post, Tree Swallow

Jim Crosswell
05-05-2015, 06:43 PM
This was taken last year at a local conservation area down the road. They were making a nest in the tree cavity the Swallow is about to enter.
All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

I want to thank all those who have commented and provided me with assistance through the years on this site. I have learned a lot and know that there is much more to learn in the future. I hope you enjoy this image. Thanks.

Canon 1D MK IV
500L f4
1.4 Extender
ISO 1000
f8
1/250s
Tripod

Randy Stout
05-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Jim:

A big congrats on your milestone.

The angle of the trunk, head angle with nesting material, woodpecker like tail prop, all good.

Looking forward to your next 5000!

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
05-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Congrats on 5000 Jim! I have enjoyed your images very much as well as your congeniality.
Love all the diagonal lines in this image. Great catchlight and the colors of the swallow show well.
Good IQ as always. I would consider cropping from the bottom to just above your signature.
Gail

keith mitchell
05-06-2015, 02:54 AM
Jim always look out for your posts and comments, congrats. Nice to see a Swallow in this setting great to see it almost hanging under the branch,like this a lot.

Regards Keith.

Gerald Kelberg
05-06-2015, 03:59 AM
Congratulations on your 5,000th posting - that is a lot of work!
Love the iridescence on the swallow - don't recall ever seeing a swallow in such a pose before.
Like the composition and use of the rule of thirds.

Looks great!

Gerald

John Rowell
05-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Way to go Jim, congratulations on making 5,000. Like the pose a lot, nesting material in its beak makes a real plus. I agree with Gail that the crop might be a little tighter. Thanks for all the help you've returned to the forum as well.

John Robinson
05-06-2015, 07:19 AM
A great record you have Bill Well done. This bird is so much like our House martins. Looks strange to us to see them in a tree !! Great stuff
John

Stu Bowie
05-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Hi Jim, big congrats on your milestone of 5000 - it wont be long before you reach your next 5000. I like the curve of the tree with the Swallow perched. Good to see some form of nesting material, and I do like the blues on the Swallow.

Russ Norwood
05-06-2015, 10:48 AM
That's a beautiful image Jim. Appealing color and a fantastic pose. I really like way the subtle vertical pattern in the background contributes to the composition, too, so much so that if it were mine I might rotate it very slightly counterclockwise to make the streaks more vertical. Don't know if it's possible with processing, but I'd like to see a little more detail in the bird's breast, too.

Russ Norwood

Andreas Liedmann
05-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Hi Jim big congrats to your posting milestone :5.
A fine image you posted , love the pose/position of the subject . Lovely colors , clean BG and a nice tone /color combo in the frame . Great IQ !

A good job all around , TFS Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
05-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Congrats on your milestone Jim!!!

Very nice image, and I have to say the the tree's bark is my favorite part of the image - so much to study within those shapes, grooves, and cracks. The swallow looks great too, very cool to see one nesting in a natural cavity.

David Salem
05-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Congrats Jim!! What a milestone. Lots of great Images you've posted over the years and lots of appreciated comments and crits. Nice shot to celebrate. Great looking pose and HA and I really like the stick in the beak, the nice texture to the perch and the smooth BG. See ya on the next 5000!!

Marina Scarr
05-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Congrats on your milestone, Jim, and thank you for being such a positive presence on BPN. This is a killer image with so much interest. It's also quite unique since we don't see this species esp nesting often here on BPN. I agree with some off of the bottom. It's nice to see what an amazing bird photographer you have become!

Karl Egressy
05-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Nice image and congratulation on you 5000, Jim.

arash_hazeghi
05-08-2015, 02:38 AM
congrats and a nice image to celebrate :cheers:

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Great comp and nice subject. All details sharp as. Well done!

Jim Crosswell
05-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone for all your kind comments and suggestions, I really appreciate them.