PDA

View Full Version : The humble Puffin

Steve Kaluski
05-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Not quite a 'raptor with it's prey' but... :bg3: You can see why they have the affectionate name of 'The Clown' bird.

If diary & timings workout, hope to be back again this year, even hook up with some BPN folk too. :S3:

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Puffin (Fratercula arctica), head shot, beak full of sand eels
Camera: Canon 1D4
Lens: 500f/4
Exposure: 1/500's at f/11 ISO400 HH (not bad)
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop almost FF width
Processed: LR CC (2015) PS CC 2014

Joseph Przybyla
05-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Love it, such a magnificent bird that I have only seen in pictures. My mind starts running planning a trip to northern Maine where there are Puffins on some of the islands. Your image show me how it should be done. Thank you for sharing.

David Cowling
05-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Nothing humble about this image. Something for me to aspire to. Lovely IQ and love the pose.The metering is spot on. I have been reading reports that they are suffering in numbers because of a shortage of sand eels, but he seems to have got his fair share. TFS.

Steve Kaluski
05-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Hi Joseph, the furthest I got was Ogunquit, so can't really comment on the islands, but wish you joy as these guys are great, however I just loved Cape Cod.

Hi David, they did have hard times a while back, but things are getting better I understand. There is a great place if you like them running a few feet away from you and want to use wide angle lens, but it's a **** of a trek from Norfolk and even then, you have about a 45 minute yomp from the parking lot, but it's a board walk, just don't pack a lot of kit, time it right and you can shoot Bonxie's on the walk up. I would stay and photograph those gorgeous Barn owls you have around there.

Cheers guys. :wave:

keith mitchell
05-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Steve totally agree with the comments above yours, top quality right down to the eels.

Keith.

Richard Flack
05-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Hey Steve, would love the opportunity to photograph these awesome birds. Super portrait and a classic puffin shot. Good IQ, exposure and great BG. TFS

Stu Bowie
05-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Hi Steve, I like the angled pose, and in nice soft light. Excellent exposure throughout, and just love the multi colours and detail on their faces. Of course, his beak full of fish rounds this off nicely.

Andreas Liedmann
05-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Hi Steve , lovely portrait with a top notch BG .
Your usual high PP level makes this stand out , the fish are a nice bonus .

Where was the shot taken ?

Cheers and TFS , Andreas

Jim Crosswell
05-05-2015, 07:58 PM
A real beauty Steve! I like the exposure, IQ, details, composition and sweet BG.

arash_hazeghi
05-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Classic puffin shot Steve, excellent on all counts, this will work in vertical presentation too

TFS

Gerald Kelberg
05-06-2015, 04:14 AM
Hi Steve,
Fine classic Puffin shot complete with a mouthful of sand eels.
Great image quality and excellent detail - something to aspire to!

Best wishes, Gerald

Ritesh Nangare
05-06-2015, 08:40 AM
What an Shot this is ...... love the pose the fish and the details all over the bird. the colours are great ........

TFS.

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks folks, glad you like it.

Arash, I try to, 'when time permits' to shoot both ways and so you get one in the bag, plus alternatives, you just never know and can be pleasantly surprised at times as you know. Based on the attached you can see why I prefer the OP, for me it provides a cleaner overall comp, I think?

cheers
Steve :wave:

arash_hazeghi
05-06-2015, 03:47 PM
hey Steve, repost also works for me, the FG elements are from habitat and they are blurred enough not to be distracting

Steve Kaluski
05-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Hi Arash, I posted it only as a comparison in relation to your comment, but glad you like it. :w3

Mike Poole
05-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Great classic puffin pose Steve, and perfect details throughout

David Salem
05-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Fantastic looking Puffin frame Steve. Love the colors, details and the exposure control. I like both versions but I prefer the OP as I like the details in the bird and the fish. Love to see one of these clowns one day!

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Awesome portrait. That's all I can think of. Love the second image too. Always pays to shoot different poses and angles/framings from my experience.