PDA

View Full Version : Pasqueflower

Jonathan Ashton
05-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 180mm macro, 1/100 sec f16
This is more of a technical exercise than an attractive image really. The image was taken in the wildflower area of our back garden. Miro he posted a pasqueflower recently and he mentioned the white umbrella, so I got a white umbrella - from China £3.95 including postage! I held the brolly in my left hand whilst holding on to the tripod head this diffused the light over the flower and background.
I have recently been learning how to use Luminosity masks and I used them on this one to try to give the best detail in the flower petals.
All C&C welcome.

David Cowling
05-06-2015, 03:55 AM
Hi Jonathan. Thanks for showing this image and explaining the techniques you used to achieve it. Not one of your very best, but as you said it is more of a technical exercise. TFS.

Russ Norwood
05-07-2015, 09:08 AM
That's an interesting flower and you've done will to use a diffuser to tone down the contrast. (I'm sure your small investment will turn out to be an excellent one.) Detail in the flower petals looks fine to me. I know it was just a technical exercise, but the flower is interesting enough to make me wish you'd shot it in warmer light earlier or later in the day.

Russ

Jonathan Ashton
05-07-2015, 11:50 AM
I am not happy with the image as presented, I think this is a little nearer the mark (just getting to grips with new processing workflow)

Russ Norwood
05-07-2015, 12:59 PM
I am not happy with the image as presented, I think this is a little nearer the mark (just getting to grips with new processing workflow)

That's a very substantial improvement all around. Better color and brightness and better contrast control, too.

Russ

Diane Miller
05-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Oh yes -- so much better!! The foliage provides a great setting.