PDA

View Full Version : Eared Grebes (Podiceps nigricollis) Yellowstone Lake

steve torna
05-03-2015, 10:24 PM
I am heading to Yellowstone next week and hope to capture Eared Grebes and Harlequin Ducks on Lee - Hardy Rapids and Soda Butte Creek. I thought I would post a Grebe image from May 2014. I isolated a small portion of the hundreds of Eared Grebes floating in a tightly packed flock as they rolled back and forth between the ice and the shore on Yellowstone Lake. If one pixel peeps a bit of noise and some loss of detail is evident. Last May was the first time that I have ever seen such a massive flock of grebes. I do have several images of the entire flock. I am eager to read your comments. Please critique. thanks - steve

Canon 7D, 500mm f/4 IS + 1.4x, tripod, ISO 320, 1/500 second @ f/8, manual mode. Post LR 5, highlights down, shadows up, NR 25, sharpen 36, Out of camera color ( 0 sat), 50% crop.

"Podiceps" is latin and refers to the posterior position of the legs while "nigri" and "collis" mean black and neck respectively. Therefore, Podiceps nigricollis is the duck with a black neck and posteriorly positioned legs.

Diane Miller
05-06-2015, 12:10 PM
A surprising and very cool tapestry effect! Looks well processed but hard to see much detail at this size.

Look forward to seeing what you get on the upcoming trip!

Carolyn Arnesen
05-08-2015, 05:58 PM
I like this a lot. Tapestry is a good word for it - the pattern of recurring colors makes me want to lean in and look more closely. Good luck on your upcoming trip. I didn't know there were Harlequin in Yellowstone.