PDA

View Full Version : Florida Burrowning Owl

Joseph Przybyla
05-02-2015, 02:05 PM
I had posted this image early this morning, when I looked at it this afternoon it looked terrible. Probably the light in the room at the time of post processing. So I deleted it and with the help of Steve Kaluski worked on it again trying to match what he showed me. I think I am close, at least it looks better. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 220, camera on an Oben Monopod with at tilt head
Post processed in Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 10
Cropped for composition

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Hi Joseph, remember what I had to work with, so a lot was needed to retrieve the information from a 256 colour file and without seeing the RAW certain 'assumptions' were made. :w3

Overall this is far better now, I just think the last image was just too hot/contrasty at either end of the scale i.e. Whites/Blacks with little or no Midtone detail. Looking at this very quickly you have recovered more, but just watch those dark shadow areas & whites. You can certainly start to see in the legs, claws and chest plumage the detail & definition appearing from the previous version, IMHO more detail requires less 'perceived' sharpening too and can help avoid the crunchy look, 'in part'. The better the exposure, the more content capture, the better the file, the less you have to do in my book.
I think from what you had you are on the right road, but i think there is more that we can achieve, however it's paying off. :cheers:

Cheers
Steve

Karl Egressy
05-02-2015, 04:50 PM
I did not see the morning version but this one looks pretty good. I would add a little canvas to the top.

Daniel Cadieux
05-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I love the way this individual is just soaking up the rays (or appears to be doing so), very nice. Great view of the talons. I suppose a better perch would be great, but everything is beautifully offset against a superb BG. I get the impression the midtones could be lowered a tad, perhaps its just me...

Steve Kaluski
05-03-2015, 04:00 AM
Hi Joseph, looking at the RAW file it's very well exposed and 'critically' sharp, with good detail.

I am in agreement with Daniel about a fraction less in the Midtone looking at the posting, but both he & I could ably comment based on what we have seen in your posting, might be worth posting the original from yesterday. For me, the original capture (RAW) is 'softer' in colours & tone and in some respect has a 'delicate' feel and therefore the PP is very easy, as it's minimal. Hopefully from what you now have in your in box, it will help you and for the future.

Just two more additional thoughts apart from a more 'natural perch' LOL. Try where possible to shoot as you wish to portray the final image, i.e. landscape/portrait to avoid IQ loss. Going portrait from landscape here isn't so much of an issue, but if printed big you are loosing, throwing away a lot of good info and avoids hard crops. If the light is available try to shoot a bit earlier, or later, be nice to see some in the later afternoon light, might have some of that lovely 'golden light' :S3:.

Good luck & all the best.

Steve

Joseph Przybyla
05-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and offering suggestions to improve my image. I am especially thankful to Steve Kaluski for the help and suggestions offered.