PDA

View Full Version : Starfish

Steve Maxson
05-01-2015, 07:11 PM
This starfish was temporarily stranded at low tide shortly after sunrise on Sanibel Is, FL. 5D II, 90 mm tilt/shift, 1/25, f/16, ISO 100, AF, tripod, live-view manual focus, mirror lock, cable release. I cleaned up a few small distracting bits of debris in the sand. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Norm Dulak
05-02-2015, 06:15 AM
I really enjoy this one Steve, because Sanibel Island has been one of my favorite places for decades. The detail is remarkable, with every grain of sand in sharp relief. But what I find most interesting is the composition you created here; that required creative imagination. And the interplay of light and shadows is most unusual. Very nice!

Diane Miller
05-02-2015, 01:36 PM
What a wonderful composition on a great find, and beautiful light! Love how you laid down the plane of focus so perfectly!

David Cowling
05-05-2015, 04:43 AM
Unusual subject and beautifully photographed. Excellent detail and composition. The low angle of the light really helps in making the subject stand out. Very well seen.

Russ Norwood
05-08-2015, 01:57 PM
My compliments on a very creative composition that stimulates the imagination. Good color and sharpness and of course exceptional DOF. The result is beautiful in its own right, but also thought-provoking in ways that images of dead stars can never be. The only fault I can find is very minor: I think the highlights are a little bright, bright enough to obscure some detail that I wish I could see.

Russ Norwood

Steve Maxson
05-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the comments, folks! The 90 mm tilt/shift lens is excellent for this type of shot where you can change the plane of focus to get everything sharp. Russ, you are correct about the brights - I have lost some detail there - particularly on the leading leg. On this beach at sunrise the light changes from dull to beautiful to harsh in just a matter of a few minutes. I wish I had found this scene 15 minutes earlier. :S3: