PDA

View Full Version : Touchdown

Steve Kaluski
05-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Still very early days and very much a 'work in progress' image. The background is a massive stack of hay bales, well 'elephant grass' to be precise, burnt as fuel by a large generating company. The old milk churn is a favourite lookout spot that has been left out for years and slowly weathered.
Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) in flight, landing on rusty milk churn
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 (560mm) Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
Exposure: 1/3200s at f/5.6 ISO1250
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop after minor leveling.
Subject distance: 8.5m
Processed via: LR CC (2015) & PS CC 2014

Russ Norwood
05-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I love that look of determination and the way the bird's talons are almost in contact, but not quite. There's a lot of energy in that pose. Yes, the background is a bit busy but in this case I think it works with the milk can, and I like the sharpness and small details, right down to the cobwebs on the can.

You say "work in progress." Does that mean you plan further processing?

Russ Norwood

Steve Kaluski
05-01-2015, 02:45 PM
You say "work in progress." Does that mean you plan further processing?

Hi Russ, what I mean is, I need to speed more time and really hone a few things in nailing flight shots. As I said in my previous posting, I'm just starting to work with these guys again and so you need to build up their confidence and give them respect, all of which takes time. It's also extremely hard, as these are Wild (nature instinctively teaches them to be wary), they also change flight path easily and so you have to make 'assumptions' rightly or wrongly way ahead of time and put in the hours too. The ten days took between 80-100+ hours and at least 95% was sitting, observing, planning and trying to second guess.

Trust this clarifies the phrase.

Jonathan Ashton
05-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Steve your time effort and patience has been well rewarded. The timing is excellent and the detail is super.
I think it is a lovely shot and a year or two ago would have made a good competition entry but now I suspect the "hand of man" has been introduced and this would render it ineligible in Nature competition.
I look forward to the further work in progress, especially if it is as good as this:w3

Steve Kaluski
05-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Jon, thanks, much appreciated, but this is just an ongoing project, building on something for the future, plus Agencies are less discerning, LOL. :w3

Joseph Przybyla
05-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Your image brought a smile to my face, great work. Wishing my owls were closer than 200 miles south in Florida. I'll get back soon, when there no owlets were visible outside the burrow. I dearly would love to capture the owlets and adults together.

Be safe in your travels...

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2015, 03:10 AM
Wishing my owls were closer than 200 miles south in Florida.

Hi Joseph, we both have the same distance to get to them, but from the house they are less than 10 minutes. I wish you well in your quest to capture some owlets, they are easily spooked at first, but within a short time their curiosity gets the better of them, likewise their confidence, but soon their 'built-in' instincts kick in and you'll never get closer than 100m of them. :w3

All the best. :wave:

Geoffrey Montagu
05-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Like everything about this image, Steve. Love the Plus 4's or feathered leggings and the talons ready for the milk churn grab. I appreciate the respect you give these remarkable creatures, and the time you're taking to gain their confidence. This image just keeps me smiling. Looking forward to more of these beauties.

Geoffrey