PDA

View Full Version : Bandon Oregon - Face Rock

Terry Johnson
04-30-2015, 02:58 PM

Hello, this was taken recently at Bandon Oregon.

D810
24-70MM zoom @ 38
F8
180/s
Tripod

Your comments please...Terry Johnson

Diane Miller
04-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Very nice! Shooting into the sun is a challenge, which you handled well. Looks like moisture-laden air helped with some filtration.

I love the reflection of the sun on the water, and the gulls are a plus. There's a slight halo around the rock, maybe from sharpening?

Don Railton
04-30-2015, 11:30 PM
Hi Terry

I too like this. Good timing with the gulls, def a plus for me. The halo been mentioned but i also think the water may have a bit more blue in it than it should, maybe I'm wrong (I was not there) but I am thinking the foam should be white(er)

DON

Gianluca Molina
05-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Nice, very nice!

But,personally, I decentralized the sun.

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Nice moment and mood here, Terry.
I too noticed the halo but I think it's from excessive shadow recover, overall it looks very thin in contrast as if you brought up the darks too much?
I also think perhaps there was a stronger composition to your left, so the FG rock was more to the right of the frame (for balance)?

Diane Miller
05-03-2015, 09:37 PM
But that would block the reflection of the sun. Maybe just crop some from the right? There'a not a lot vital to the composition over there.

Andrew McLachlan
05-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Hi Terry, a nice scene. I think Morkel summed it up for me as I too feel there has been too much shadow recovery. A little more room on the left would have been ideal for me.

Don Lacy
05-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Hi Terry Agree with the above sentiments when it comes to shadow recovery the first thing I thought when I open this was it had the Nikon washed out shadows from over lifting. I think you could take away a stop or two and have a more balanced tonal representation. I would also crop from the left to pull the sun out of the center of the frame and a little from the top.

Gianluca Molina
05-07-2015, 02:50 AM
look:
In the upper left there are speckles: sensor dirty?

Diane Miller
05-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Gianluca, I like your crop. Are the spots birds?? Too sharp for sensor spots.

Don, I don't want to get off the thread here, but I'm always interested in IQ issues, and lifting shadows is a common issue I face. I'd be interested in more information about that in recent versions of Nikon vs. Canon. I've heard comments that Nikon has more dynamic range in the shadows, which seems contrary to your comment. (As a Canon user I've never even shot with a Nikon, so not trying to ask a loaded question.)

Don Lacy
05-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Are the spots birds?? Too sharp for sensor spots.

Don, I don't want to get off the thread here, but I'm always interested in IQ issues, and lifting shadows is a common issue I face. I'd be interested in more information about that in recent versions of Nikon vs. Canon. I've heard comments that Nikon has more dynamic range in the shadows, which seems contrary to your comment. (As a Canon user I've never even shot with a Nikon, so not trying to ask a loaded question.)
The Sony sensor (more accurately imaging pipeline) has about 2.5 more stops of DR at base ISO 100 due to the low readout noise but as you increase ISO the nature of the noise changes and the DR between the systems even out around ISO 800. The other issue with Canon was the banding nature of the noise which would appear as lines and is harder to get rid of Canon has corrected that starting with the 6D and 7DII. So if you shoot with Sony or Nikon at base ISO you have the ability to lift shadows and recover detail in the darker tones of the image. there is still a price to pay for doing this as you increase the shadows you are still adding noise to those areas so if you do a 6 stop pull your shadows would have the noise characteristic of ISO 1600 which will limit the size you could print the image. The other issue is more aesthetic as you increase the shadows they lose contrast and become washed out which looks unnatural to me to be fair I also find blown highlight areas to visually unappealing also. My comment was about the look of the shadows to my eye they are to bright for the image the IQ as posted looks good but if you pixel peep them you would notice the noise but it would still be far better then what you would get with Canons older cameras and still better then a 6 or 7DII. So yes the Nikons have more DR at base ISO and as long as your not printing large you pay a small IQ price for pulling the shadows but they will lose contrast.