PDA

View Full Version : Theme Bison with Electric Peak

Rachel Hollander
04-30-2015, 09:32 AM
I thought I would get in one more animalscape image for April's theme. This one was taken our first morning in Yellowstone up near the Gardiner entrance. The sun was just hitting Electric Peak in the bg and these two bison were nice enough to graze in front for me. Too bad they didn't lift their heads.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 142mm
1/800
f7.1
ISO 800
HH, ff, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

P.S. Don't forget the new theme "Animal Antics" starts tomorrow.

Stu Bowie
04-30-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi Rachel, I like your comp, together with the similar feeding poses of the two Bison. Good DOF, showing the undulating landscape flowing up towards the snow covered mountain range. I do like how we can see the distant Bison too.

haseeb badar
04-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Hello Rachel ! what a beautiful scene , lovely colors in the bison and that peak looks really electric . What abt a crop from bottom upto that black little thing in the foreground !

Gabriela Plesea
04-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Hello Rachel,

Sadly I did not manage to share many animal landscapes this month but I certainly took great delight in viewing yours:w3

Lovely scene with the two Bison and this layered landscape behind them, there's something tranquil and calming about this frame, subdued colours in the BG and a little contrast in the FG create a 3D feel so pleasing to the eye. Nothing you could do about your subjects not fully cooperating (heads down and grazing) but maybe this is one aspect that contributes to a more serene feel to the entire scene, so to me not an issue at all.

Looking forward to see what you have "in store" for next month dearest Rachel, and thank you so much for sharing another lovely animalscape, enjoyed viewing as always:5

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
04-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks Stu, Haseeb and Gabriela, much appreciated as always. Haseeb, I thought about a crop similar to what you suggested but prefer the ff image. The bison felt a little tight and this was one where it really was more about the habitat than the bison.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
04-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Hi Rachel, love this scene, so classic of Yellowstone. If there is one thing I'd like to propose is to do a 3-panel vertical shots for this scene so that you can capture the magnificent of the snow capped mountains and the bison. (the pano option of the iphone would work great here too).

On my way back from Mashatu and Mala, will post again soon.

Thanks

Loi

Steve Kaluski
05-01-2015, 04:47 AM
Hi Rachel, I like the cascading environment as it steps, rolls back. Any reason why you chose Partial metering, was the BKG that much brighter?

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
05-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi Rachel,

very nice image for sure. I like it very much, even with no lifted heads. I might would bring out the trees more in between the forest snow mountains and the no trees mountain. If you get which spot I mean. This is just my thoughts!

Have a great weekend

Ciao Anette

Rachel Hollander
05-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks Loi, Steve and Anette. Steve - yes, the bg was that much brighter. This was just after dawn and the only place the sun was hitting was on the peak in the bg.

Thanks again,
Rachel

David Cowling
05-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Nice capture of the animals in their environment. I like the way that the mountains give a sense of scale. Like you say, too bad they didn't give you a look.

Rachel Hollander
05-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Thanks David, much appreciated.

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Hi Rachel - pleasing tones and composition here (just love layered backgrounds).
In a perfect world, for my tastes, one bison would have worked better than the 2 "merging" ones here, but I still would have taken the shot...
DOF and exposure control perfect here!