PDA

View Full Version : Orchid

Norm Dulak
04-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Canon PowerShot S90
ISO 800; f/7.1, 1/100 sec.
Std CS6 adjustments; Topaz DeNoise; Nik Tonal Contrast filter

This Rhyncholaelia digbyana from Central America was photographed at Longwood Gardens. Because the tip of the lower petal was inadvertently cut off during framing, I added canvass and reconstructed the tip by cloning.

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Norm

Diane Miller
04-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Beautiful orchid. There are some dark gray areas in the added canvas at the bottom. If they don't show on your monitor, check your calibration.

You can add a temporary Curves or Levels layer and bring up the darks to see them. (I assume they are inadvertent...)

Norm Dulak
04-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Beautiful orchid. There are some dark gray areas in the added canvas at the bottom. If they don't show on your monitor, check your calibration.

You can add a temporary Curves or Levels layer and bring up the darks to see them. (I assume they are inadvertent...)

Thanks, Diane. But I think your comment regarding gray areas is odd. My monitor calibration is fine. And I not only don't see gray areas on my monitor, they are also not present on a print made from the same photoshop file used to make the web image. But perhaps you are right in saying that by manipulation in Levels or Curves, it may be possible to bring out things that are otherwise not visible.

Diane Miller
04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Will be interesting to see if other people see them. Do a quick curves or levels and see if you see them then. Here's what you should see.

Darkest tones are very difficult for many monitors to separate. They are clearly visible on my monitor, which is calibrated to pro standards. If anyone doesn't see them, have a look at the calibration strip at the bottom of each page here and see if you can distinguish the darkest levels.

Also interesting about the print. They should show there, too.

I always do this curves or levels layer and check for glitches in dark areas and clone them out, even if they're not obvious in a normal view.

John Robinson
04-30-2015, 02:41 PM
New one on me Norm. National flower of Honduras I believe. I can see the funny marks. I usually check mine by simply playing with the gamma.
Cheers
John

Norm Dulak
04-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks John and Diane.
I'll know better to check for things like that in the future, even if I can't see them on my monitor. I hope this repost fixes the problem. :cheers:

Norm

Diane Miller
04-30-2015, 10:42 PM
It does!!

Jonathan Ashton
05-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Great exposure and DOF excellent details, the shadows were apparent to me also but i wondered if they were intentional, I was about to say enhance them just a little or kill them!

Norm Dulak
05-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Jon!

Steve Maxson
05-01-2015, 07:29 PM
What an interesting looking Orchid, Norm! Nice job with the little camera, yet again - very nice sharpness and DOF - also good work on repairing the petal tip. The repost fixed the issue of the gray areas discussed above. :S3:

Norm Dulak
05-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Thanks Steve!