PDA

View Full Version : Morning Glory

Jason Kinsey
05-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Took these morning glory shots yesterday morning in middle Georgia. They almost look a touch dark, but the whites were tough (for me) to expose. I'd appreciate any critiques/suggestions y'all could provide.

D200, 60mm @ f/11, ISO 100

Jason Kinsey
05-30-2008, 06:01 PM
A "habitat" shot. I think I like this one better than the single flower shot above. Maybe its the composition (versus the single flower)?

Robert O'Toole
05-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi Jason,

In the future separate the posts into 2 threads please, the limit is one image per post.

On the first the whites are dark, not too bad, but dark. When white fills the frame you have to dial in plus compensation to get information in the light tone side of the histogram. Otherwise with no comp the meter will turn the whites to a gray.

Anyway I like the subject put if you would get lower at the level of the bloom and shoot straight you would not see the sticks and leaves in the BG. Also shooting wide open or close to wide open would help to isolate the flower.

I actually like the second image more the comp is more interesting and the exposure is good. So my vote goes for number 2 :)

Robert

Mike Moats
05-31-2008, 06:18 AM
Hey Jason, if your shooting this as you mentioned, a habitat shot, and are interested in showing the BG as you have than you did a nice job, and maybe even a f 22 to bring the BG more in focus. But for a more artistic look, than go with Roberts suggestion on shooting lower across the plain of the ground, and setting your Fstop to the lower number ranges.

Jason Kinsey
05-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Thank y'all for the input. I apologize for not keeping it to 1 image, I'll remember that next time.

Michel Pilon
06-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Hello Jason,

I prefer also the second image for the exposition and the composition... Personally when I want to expose a pale object over a dark bg I use the "spot meter" on my camera which help a lot... Take a look at the histogram also...

Anyway thank you very much for presenting us those nice flowers...

Cheers,

Michel Pilon
Quebec, Canada

Bob Allen
06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Top image, single flower: for rotate flowers, head-on shots, I like to crop into a perfect square. Once you do this, much of the dark bg will be gone, leaving more 'room' to bring up the exposure in levels/curves. I like the pollen at the throat of the flower, probably spilled by a visiting insect. In morning-glories, that white pollen is easily overexposed, watch for that as you bring up the exposure.

Second image, plant & flowers: good composition. For me, leaf litter is essential to establish place. But if you are after more of an artistic image (not my thing), get low and exclude the leaf litter as Toolie suggests. Ah, nothing like the feel of pine needles in your belly as you lay on the ground for a low photo ;7)

The inclusion of a head-on shot (left flower) with the side view (right flower, plus the calyx & bracts being in view [but underexp], needed for identification) really makes it for me. Bring up the exp of those areas in levels/curves. I would have removed the bright leaf (pine needle?) from behind the right flower and the twig that stands up behind the left flower; they're both distracting. I'd also crop the left and bottom.

And this is just IMHO.