PDA

View Full Version : Roseate Spoonbill in Tallow Tree

Russ Norwood
04-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Hello everyone:

I joined BPN some time ago and only recently thought about revisiting thanks to Artie Morris' frequent references in his blog. My "real job" has a way of distracting me.

From what I've seen today, it looks as if I've missed out by being away. And the new forum membership categories make it clear that I need to dive right in before my temporary posting priviledges expire.

I made the attached Roseate Spoonbill capture not long after dawn on March 24 near Delcambre, Louisiana with a Canon 1Dx, 500mm F4IS and 1.4TC, shooting from a tripod with a Wimberly head. A low overcast softened the light and saturated the colors.

This was shot wide open (F5.6 thanks to the TC) at ISO800 and 1/160.

The location is an island in a small pond where several species of nesting birds congregate at this time of year. A few hungry alligators keep the predatory raccoons and bobcats off the island. In return, the alligators get the hatchlings that fall out of the nests and the occasional unwary wader, but that’s the price of protection in the swamp.

Comments, criticisms and suggestions are welcome, not just on the image but also on the way I've handled the attachment and my narrative. Now I'm off to post some comments of my own!

Russ Norwood
www.perceptivist.com (http://www.perceptivist.com)

Randy Stout
04-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Russ:

The soft light really does show off the colors well, nice framing by the tree which doesn't obscure him at all. Nicely exposed.

Only thing you could wish for would be a bit better eye contact.

Good way to start your membership off with a bang. Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Alan Murphy
04-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Very nice image. Head angle shows off bill shape well. I would warm it up just a bit.

Robert Kimbrell
04-29-2015, 08:50 PM
Welcome Russ, A Nice first post. What a great setting for a spoonbill. The soft light looks so nice here. A good pose and so fortunate to not has obstructions from the vegetation. The leaf above and to the left of the head looks like you may have been cloning there. I would smooth that area.

amir alimoradian
04-30-2015, 02:38 AM
Welcome Russ.
Beautiful Image. I like everything in your shot specially the composition.

christopher galeski
04-30-2015, 02:39 AM
nice capture,love the leaves in the BG,like how the tree and bow frame the bird,TFS.

Russ Norwood
04-30-2015, 06:06 AM
Good observation and a sharp eye Robert. Although I didn't do any cloning I did a poor job of darkening a bright area around the leaf. Thanks for the critique.

Russ Norwood
04-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Very nice image. Head angle shows off bill shape well. I would warm it up just a bit.

Thanks Alan. I'll give that a try.

Daniel Cadieux
04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Ooh, now that is quite an appealing spoonbill image!! Great perch and fresh foliage backdrop. I like the pose and comp too. Well done all around, including the narrative :-)

Welcome to BPN!!

Jim Crosswell
04-30-2015, 09:41 AM
A real beauty Russ! I like the setting, exposure, pose and composition. Welcome to BPN and I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Marina Scarr
04-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Big, warm welcome to BPN and congrats on posting your first avian image. Sometimes it takes folks months or years to post an image...you know who you are.

This image is MOST appealing. I just love the muted light and the colors of the spoonie just pop off of the screen on that dark green. Agree with Alan that the head turn shows off the bill very nicely and you have amazing details here. Your composition, which could not have been easy, works very nicely.

Karl Egressy
04-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Very nice image of this great looking bird.

steve torna
05-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Really beautiful image in every way and amazing composition; Gould and Audubon would be jealous. Another calming and peaceful photograph. - steve