PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Boss?

Andre Pretorius
04-29-2015, 03:15 PM
A another one of the images captured at Zuka with Carl.
As stated previously we were with the two Cheetah brothers for hours.
They left their favourite hill to go after some impala deeper in the thicket. We followed, but they were spotted when the Impala
raising the alarm with their snorts. The two brothers returned to their favourite liar with some Wildebeest on top of the hill staring at them.
The Gnu(wildebeest) started moving towards them with their familiar snorts. One brother was calling with the familiar "meoww" (fleeing) and moving off
next to our vehicle as the Wildebeest were closing in. The braver of the duo went to mark his territory to show the WB he is the dominant one in this situation.
Was a game- sometimes he is the boss, 5min later he was the runner...
Techs
Nikon D3S with 300F2,8
1/1600 @f5.6
ISO 900
Overcast conditions with rain pending
Image captured at 10h18

Mike Poole
04-29-2015, 03:59 PM
A great scene you've captured Andre, not a style of shot we see often enough.

It has a real 'layered' look about it, where you can keep looking and seeing something new. Techs spot on as expected, top work

Rachel Hollander
04-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Hi Andre - I agree with Mike on both the scene and the layered look. I also like the look of intensity of the cheetah. Small thing that bothers me are the two dots on each of the gnus' horns. Nice one overall.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
04-30-2015, 05:35 AM
I like it a lot. The OOF WB's add so much to the image and a great look on the Cheetahs face!

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2015, 05:43 AM
Hi Andre, I like the image because you have a lot of 'content' within the image, plus the angle/posture of the Cheetah with his intense stare. I agree with Rachel, the two highlights on the LH WB needs addressing, looks like a set of 'spots' from Lara Crofts jeep, LOL. Also I would be tempted to remove the 'lighter' item below the Cheetah's head, a wee bit distracting, but your call.

Again, from a personal POV and taking into account the conditions of the scene, I do think it looks a tad cool and just warming it up, I think doesn't step away from the original capture, but just creates a little more depth of colour, see the WB. Ideally compare both in PS side by side, just a click of a setting and you can easily see the differences. Andre, I wonder if the monitor needs calibrating, or you have a setting a little off, WDYT????

Hope it helps, hate to RP but I think it does illustrate points people make.

Cheers
Steve

Andre Pretorius
04-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Thank you Mike,Rachel, Dumay and Steve for commenting!

Steve, I wondered about those spotlights, seems they were on bright! Tell you though, these guys are faster on the pull-away than her jeep, but they don't have her "guns"..:w3
Wanted to remove the wood behind cheetah's chin, forgot..
Calibrate the screen every month with that Spyder thing that has a long tail and that tells me to close the curtains...
Attached the original, maybe just have to warm up more in future when shot in overcast weather.
Will do RP soon.
Thanks for suggestions from everyone.

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi Andre, I'm just looking at the image on the laptop :Whoa!:, so will look tomorrow on the calibrated screens, but initial thoughts, it looks better and more in keeping with what you described with the impending rain, but will hold fire until then.

Good to know you have the calibration sorted. :w3

cheers
Steve

haseeb badar
04-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Hello Andre , super sight to witness and capture. the OOF WB's ads so much to the scene and the look on Cheetah's face is a prize catch. Lovely details and a quality image . I do like Steve's version makes it look even more dramatic .

Loi Nguyen
04-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Andre, saw this image on FB early. Now on my lap top, love it. I'm with Steve on the coolness, and Steve's version looks good for me, byt again I'm on a lap top. The only thing that I would wish for is a seperation between the cheetah and the WB. I know, it is often just not possible depending on where you are on the vehicle and I'd have taken the shot just the same. It's a very cool shot. Loi

Anette Mossbacher
05-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi Andre,

greta look and pose of the Cheetah. just can agree with the others. I as well do not like the two dots in the Gnu's horns!
have a great weekend

Ciao Anette

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2015, 04:04 PM
A really cool story-telling image with a pleasing POV and DOF well handled, Andre.
I like Steve's treatment of colour and contrast a tad more than your OP...

Andre Pretorius
05-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Ok, raised the temp and removed the distracting elements.
WDYT?