PDA

View Full Version : Lazy leopard

Charlene Bacchioni
04-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III,canon lens300mm f2.8,f5.6,ISO-1600,1/200,flash,focal length 300mm,handheld.

Dumay de Boulle
04-29-2015, 03:31 PM
WOW...You are so lucky to get one elevated with such a clean BG. Nice use of flash and good contrast.
If I had to be super critical I would say there is blue/aqua coming through on the white fur on the chest.

Gabriela Plesea
04-29-2015, 03:53 PM
A warm welcome to Wildlife forum, Charlene!

Wonderful capture of this relaxed beautiful leopard, based on Dumay's observations I did an RP with a tad more warmth, what do you think?

Love the point of view, well framed, good techs, and I so look forward to see more from your folders!

Kind regards,

Charlene Bacchioni
04-29-2015, 03:55 PM
I don't see it , but you guys are the experts so it must be there,I have only contrasted the image,How would I then correct this? Please help.

Charlene Bacchioni
04-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Thank Gabriela, that looks stunning,thanks for the advice.

Gabriela Plesea
04-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Thank you Charlene, my version is not ideal and perhaps not reflecting the colours/ light at the time you took this frame, maybe somewhere between your OP and my RP would be more to your taste?

Keep experimenting, it is the best way to learn:) I think you got a winner here, by the way...And do share other images with us, I really look forward to see more from your folders!

Kind regards,

Rachel Hollander
04-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Hi Charlene - Welcome to the Wildlife Forum! Great first post. I really like the comp and the eye contact is fantastic. I also see the blue/cyans coming through and applied a very easy fix. I did a hue/saturation layer and just dropped both the blues and the cyans by -50 but I masked the eyes. That's the only adjustment that I did to your op. I think Gabriela's is a bit too warm and red but ultimately it is up to you.

The best and fastest way to learn on BPN is to participate in lots of threads and ask questions. We recommend posting comments on at least 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own. Your comments don't have to be technical in nature. Just tell us what you like or don't like about the image. In addition to letting us all learn from each other, it also fosters a sense of community.

TFS,
Rachel

Charlene Bacchioni
04-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Thank you Rachel,I will give a try.

Charlene Bacchioni
04-29-2015, 08:05 PM
I love one

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2015, 03:08 AM
Hi Charlene, lovely Leopard, nice eye contact and I do like the overall composition. With the kit/set up you also have achieved very good detail & clarity too and the flash has provided a nice bit of fill-in, looks well balanced

Without rehashing the above points, I do feel overall it appears a tad dark, that may also be down to the more darker blacks, personally I might try to open things up a little in the blacks, whites exp and just tweak the WB to a fraction warmer look. However, this is only my personal thoughts, you were there, so you know the conditions. If you can add anything more in the intro regarding the shot it's always helpful and feedback is easier too, in addition to cropping, any cloning, shooting conditions etc. Otherwise we tend to 'second guess'. If there is anything specific to the posting you would like help on, please add that into the intro.

Hope to see more from you, a great opening shot and contributions to others threads is ALWAYS appreciated.

TFS
Steve

PS If you do post a Rhino, please ensure no GPS is embedded in the Exif data and also please do not mention the actual location for obvious reasons, thanks.

haseeb badar
04-30-2015, 04:54 AM
Hi Charlene ! Brilliant start to the forum and I am also relatively new here . I liked Steve's version and as most of the things are already been discussed . Hope to see more from you . TFS

Dumay de Boulle
04-30-2015, 05:34 AM
As usual Steve nailed it!

Charlene Bacchioni
04-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Thank you Steve.I appreciate all the help everyone is given me.I'm learning as I go along , I will add as much info as I can, I will also be commenting on the other photographers work.
It won't be constructive ,as the level of photography is brilliant, but I will comment.Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Charlene Bacchioni
04-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Thank you Haseeb.

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks Charlene, no need to be technical and always remember, we all have started at the same point, some of us are just a little further along the path. Read the replies and try to distill what is said, in that way you will be able to build on the knowledge you already have and never worry about asking a 'silly' question. :w3

The more you get to know your camera, the better equipped you are at capturing the image.

cheers
Steve :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
04-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Yep, Steve nailed it again:) Mine looks "pink" in comparison, sorry Charlene - I just like things on the warmer side:)

Any comment from you is welcome, by the way. Likes and dislikes, suggestions, an RP if you feel like it:) We do not always all agree on things around here but that is what makes it so interesting, LOL

Great to have another South African participating here, hope you share more of your images with us!

Have a super evening,

Andre Pretorius
04-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi Charlene

Love your angle and comp!
Eye contact with the photographer a bonus!
Was the leopard on a anthill, or were you on your stomach?:t3
Agree with the above comments, Mr Detail(Steve) has nailed it again with the RP.
SLOW with that contrast slider, it makes the whites lighter and the blacks darker-no detail...
Rachel gave you good advise- to remove a cast, just do a sat layer to tone down the culprit.
Welcome, a good one to open your account!

Anette Mossbacher
05-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Hi Charlene,

welcome to the forum. A great image you start with, as usual Steve brought it up to the notch. I like this very much so well done.

Have a great weekend

Ciao Anette

Loi Nguyen
05-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Hi Charlene, welcome to the Wild Life Forum. I think Steve nailed the PP here. Color cast is hard to see, the key there is to have a good and calibrated monitor. Not sure what you have. The original does look a tad dark and cool on mine.

Loi

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Welcome here Charlene!
I won't rehash too much of what was said. Great angle and eye contact.
Steve's version works best for me.
Do take into consideration what was said about how to make the most of this forum - it's truly the best critique forum on the web for wildlife photographers! :cheers:
Looking forward to more photos...

David Fletcher
05-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Hi Charlene, lovely Leopard, nice eye contact and I do like the overall composition. With the kit/set up you also have achieved very good detail & clarity too and the flash has provided a nice bit of fill-in, looks well balanced

Without rehashing the above points, I do feel overall it appears a tad dark, that may also be down to the more darker blacks, personally I might try to open things up a little in the blacks, whites exp and just tweak the WB to a fraction warmer look. However, this is only my personal thoughts, you were there, so you know the conditions. If you can add anything more in the intro regarding the shot it's always helpful and feedback is easier too, in addition to cropping, any cloning, shooting conditions etc. Otherwise we tend to 'second guess'. If there is anything specific to the posting you would like help on, please add that into the intro.

Hope to see more from you, a great opening shot and contributions to others threads is ALWAYS appreciated.

TFS
Steve

PS If you do post a Rhino, please ensure no GPS is embedded in the Exif data and also please do not mention the actual location for obvious reasons, thanks.

Of all the replys, this is imv clearly the best processing of this shot. Regarding the shot, it is fantastic, only to be bettered by direct eye contact. The best advice on presenting the shot is from Steve. Rachel's view is far too cold. Stick them in PS and show side by side and you'll easily see the difference.