PDA

View Full Version : Nyala

Steve Kaluski
04-29-2015, 08:57 AM
For once this species wasn't skittish and allowed a few frames, quite an impressive animal IMHO. The tree in the far BKG is not ideal, but it is what it is, love the 'corkscrew' horns, similar to the Kudu.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Nyala (Tragelaphus angasii), angled side on, walking mode, in the open
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 (280mm)
Exposure: 1/640's at f/8 ISO400
Original format: landscape, very slight crop almost FF width
Subject distance: 26.5m
Processed: LR CC (2015) PS CC 2014

Andre Pretorius
04-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Hi Steve

Colours spot on- I see these guys almost every day. As a youngster, they were called the "Natal Rugby Players" by my uncle, I 'think" the legs(rugby socks) were a more orange...:t3
DOF spot on, detail amazing- one can see every muscle as he moves...
The horns look very sharp...:2eyes2:Ouch..
The dead tree behind him is slightly distracting, but is was there.
Love the eye contact.
BTW-we lose plenty here after just one cold night... they are like me-can't stand the cold:S3:
Love it!

Steve Kaluski
04-29-2015, 03:00 PM
BTW-we lose plenty here after just one cold night... they are like me-can't stand the cold

Perhaps Gabriela should purchase a nice pair of 'long' grey (preferably mid grey, LOL) socks for you. :bg3:

Dumay de Boulle
04-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Colours look perfect, Light angle very well handled and the IQ is top class as usual. Typical Sabi Sands bush so I think the BG looks good:bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
04-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Hello Steve,

I just love the velvety, chocolate look of this Nyala's coat, beautifully exposed and so sharp, and oh-that-war-paint between the eyes!..Superb capture, Sir!

Err... by the way, those grey socks you were talking about - I did buy them for Andre but he has not worn them yet, he just cannot find a pair of sandals to match them with...hopefully Andreas (Mr B.E aka The Nitpicker) will contribute sometime soon?

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
04-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Hi Steve - I've looked at this a couple times now and wanted to look on my calibrated screen before commenting. Nice details and tones. I like the walking pose and it was nice to get one out the open. With the body angled slightly toward you, I would prefer a tiny bit more room below to give the nyala room to move forward as well as to the right. Btw I'm surprised you didn't flip it:bg3:.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
04-30-2015, 04:46 AM
Hello Steve !! I think most of the things are already said , I personally struggle to expose so brilliantly when the subject is dark and light is not soft . Can u pls throw some light on the exposure techniques in such situations ??

Steve Kaluski
04-30-2015, 05:15 AM
Thanks folks.

Rachel every now and then I will leave as shot, it just depends on whether I think it looks better flipped or not, or even if I feel like 'living on the edge' LOL.

Hi Haseeb, since taking the shot, in the last 4-6 weeks I have 'radically, for me' changed a lot of my set-up within camera, (who says - 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' which is at present providing 'better, IMHO RAW captures from a technical POV, I just love the 1DX), but ultimately I always expose to the right, check the Histogram, NOT the image on the LCD and then adjust accordingly, it's so easy, seriously. Just look at any blown highlights and peg it back, if there are some minor 'blinks' I will deal with those in PP. The more data you capture, the better the image will be.

Hope that helps.

haseeb badar
04-30-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks Steve , will try to apply it in the field tomorrow . :)

Anette Mossbacher
05-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi STeve,

very nice image and spot on, did not expect it different. I just love these animals, their colors and strips. Very nice done as usual :bg3:

Have a great weekend

Ciao Anette

Steve Kaluski
05-01-2015, 09:57 AM
AHHA Anette, you are still in the 'land of the living' :bg3:, thought Arc had eaten you :S3:.

Nice to have you back posting and contributing. :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2015, 05:07 PM
One of my fave antelopes, Steve.
Opportunity well used in terms of "moment" and exposure in harsh-ish light.