PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Postman

Randy Stout
04-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Taken two days ago during my final outing of the year to our local butterfly exhibition. The butterflies were still very plentiful, but showing a little bit of wear and tear, as new ones are no longer being released. It was a warm/sunny day, and they were very active, hard to get them to pose!

D4 Sigma 180 f/10 1/400s ISO 800 . No tripods or monopods are allowed, so I have a little brace that I hold against my belt. R1C1 flash, two heads. Artificial background held behind the subject to avoid the inevitable black background

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

MiroslavMaric
04-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Like the frame and well exposed details of the butterfly. For my taste a bit more light of BG could be a plus. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Jonathan Ashton
04-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Excellent wonderful colours. Exposure looks good to me. Details first class. DOF is very good, just for the sake of it I would suggest taking a few duplicate images at a slightly greater distance, this will give a tad more DOF. I have come to realise (after all these years!) that filling the frame with macro subjects usually makes life unecessarily difficult especially when the subject is as large as a butterfly or moth. In this case for instance it just may have been possible to get the left antenna fully in focus whilst still getting a very high quality image.

Randy Stout
04-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts!

Jon, I must admit that I struggle to not fill the frame for macro, more so than birds.

Will have to work on that!

Randy

Anita Bower
04-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Very nice. Lovely pose. I like seeing that curly thing. I wondered how you got the lovely bg, then read your comments. Clever of you. I would have thought the butterflies would move too fast.
I think the image could be brighter, but is OK as is. I, too, am working on letting there be a bit more space around my macro shots.

Randy Stout
04-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Anita:

I like darker images, and edit in a darkened room, so sometimes I do post images a bit darker than others like. Here is a slightly brightened version. Let me know if this is more to your liking.

Thanks

Randy

Anita Bower
04-28-2015, 07:30 PM
I like it more, but, what matters is the one you like more!

Diane Miller
04-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Gorgeous, with perfect sharpness and detail! Perch and BG are wonderful to show off the subject. Advice?? Print, frame, hang.

I lean a little more to the lighter one but would never have thought of the original as on the dark side.

Steve Maxson
05-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Hi Randy. Very nice pose, comp, and sharpness! The background brightness is somewhat subjective and a matter of personal taste. I think I like the OP with the more dramatic darker background better. :S3:

Alison McCoy
05-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Love the first version of this image though both are stunning. Amazing detail in the insect. The bg and composition are great. Congrats on making such a fine image.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Hi Randy
So you are a master of macro too? Great mate!
Wonderful close-up. Not sure how much a butterfly would move (even the antennae) while stationary, perhaps making multiple images more difficult? I've recently tried the stacking with mushrooms and it works well enough I think.
Great work!

Randy Stout
05-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Akos:

The conservatory where this one was imaged has a pretty strong ventilation system, so the leaves are often blowing a bit, so stacking would be pretty hit or miss. Some areas is might work.

This was taken on a relatively bright day in Michigan, so the butterflies were much more active, not sitting still for long.

Cheers

Randy