PDA

View Full Version : Young Brown dipper.

Dave Johnson
04-25-2015, 07:27 AM
Had a super day on a local stream recently photographing a family of Brown dippers (Cinclus pallasii). They lack the white bib of C cinclus, but are extremely interesting and comical birds nonetheless. This is one of three fledglings they were raising.

Shooting info: 1DX, 500 F4 ii, tripod at 1/160th, F6.3, ISO 1600. Used a 4x4 metre camo sheet with internal fine mesh for extra concealment and to keep the bugs out. Just can't get on with pop-up blinds of late.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

John Robinson
04-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Nice shot of a bird in habitat Dave
looks quite different to ours
Bigger pic would have been nice.
Cheers
John

Satish Ranadive
04-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Dave, Beautiful image of cute one in habitat.Superb frame.
If mine ,would toned down the bright rocks quite a bit.Also lighten the bird and it's eye a bit.
Here is the edited image. Hope you don't mind.

Regards,
Satish.

Dave Johnson
04-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks for looking John and Satish. John, this is a youngster. The adults are a chocolate brown colour with darker almost black wings.
Satish, thanks for taking the time with this, the rocks look much better toned down, much appreciated.

Best D J.

Daniel Cadieux
04-26-2015, 06:43 AM
Toning down those rocks were my first thought (after loving the bird and flowing water!). Even better would be no merge between the boulder and the bird's head, but I realize you were not in a position to move over to your left :-) At least with the camo sheet you were able to get down for a lower angle...