PDA

View Full Version : Short-tailed Hawk - Dark Phase

Jim Neiger
04-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Indian River County, FL - 1DX, 600mm, F4.5, 1/800, ISO 800, manual exposure

This is the only time I've seen a Short-tailed Hawk that wasn't just a little spec a thousand feet up. I realize this is not the best photo, but I wanted to post a shot of this rarely seen raptor.

Grace Scalzo
04-23-2015, 07:37 AM
Jim, You must be thrilled with this photo. I would be. The only two small things that I might offer, is the catchlight real? Looks oddly shaped. And I realize that the belly is in shadow but I'd try to bring out more detail and I seem to thing there may be a purple/magenta cast? IAC, great image to have in your files.

Jim Neiger
04-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Thanks Grace. The catchlight is natural. The hawk was in shade, but there was quite a bit of light reflecting off the water. I was shooting from my boat. I used the SH tool to bring out some detail in the dark areas, but I didn't want to over do it. I do see what may be a slight magenta cast. I'm guessing that it was caused by my use of the SH tool to tone down the bright areas a bit. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

arash_hazeghi
04-24-2015, 12:47 AM
very cool frame Jim, wish to see this beautiful hawk up close one day

David Salem
04-24-2015, 01:26 AM
Nice capture of a really cool looking hawk that I would love to see some day also. I have to get back out there:) BFAM