PDA

View Full Version : Elephant with Clouds *composite

peter delaney
04-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Hi Steve and fellow BPN'ers

It's been awhile since I have posted. Fatherhood has kept me busy for the past 8 months.

Not sure If I am allowed to post a composite. The attached image was captured in Etosha famous for its bland skies in winter times. So I have added the clouds just to add some drama. I know many may disagree with altering an image in such away. But for me as long as the photographer discloses his alterations then I have no problem.

Rachel Hollander
04-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi Peter - Nice to see you posting! Congrats on the baby. I didn't know the rules about composites either and checked with the powers that be. It is ok so long as it is disclosed in the intro as you did. It might be interesting and educational to see the original image of the elephants. Could you also provide the tech info e.g. camera, lens and other EXIF data for the elephant image (not the clouds)?

Great low pov and it feels like the herd is thundering toward you, about to trample you.

TFS,
Rachel

P.S. As always, it would be great to have your thoughts on others' images.

Gabriela Plesea
04-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Hello Peter, a warm welcome back:wave:

This image is quite a treat - well executed and presented as usual:)

Those ellies are just awesome, great POV and I like the comp, very much.

Hope we see more from you, it's been a long time...Congratulations on the arrival of a new family member!

Kind regards,

haseeb badar
04-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Hello Peter ! I fondly remember you as a winner in Nature in B&W category at BBC WPOTY 2011 for the image titled Big Foot and also for your image titled " Showdown " and i was deeply in love with both the images of yours especially the Big Foot, that image made me realize the importance to think differently on the field each and everytime and i am really grateful to you for creating such a wonderful image. Congrats on the baby ! As far as this image is concerned i am also alright as far as the photographer discloses wat he has done with the image and in this particular image the mood is totally brilliant . Pls keep posting as frequently as you can .

peter delaney
04-22-2015, 12:02 AM
Thanks Gabriela.....

peter delaney
04-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Haseeb

Kind words indeed ...thank you so much...

peter delaney
04-22-2015, 12:05 AM
Thanks Rachel...will provide techs later...

Anette Mossbacher
04-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Hi Peter,

great image and I like the composite very much suits very well to the herd. I know what you mean with the "great" sky over there :eek3:, can make people nuts!!

Have a great day

Ciao Anette

Andre Pretorius
04-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi Peter
Fatherhood will keep you busy more than a few months....:t3
Love what you have done to this image, without the clouds it would not have the punch, contrast between the ellies and sky works.
IMHO would crop FG just below OOF rock, and clone it out.
Very powerful image..:cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
04-25-2015, 03:26 AM
I like the image but I have a reservation over the elephants who appear to be so well lit. This seems to be at odds to me given the sky.

Steve Kaluski
04-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Hi Peter, apologies, and to use the well use phrase 'coming late to the party' :w3. Appreciate time is precious, especially with the little one and other commitments, but as Rachel said, it's nice to see you back and I hope this isn't just passing through, lol as I know how busy you are, but always good to have you around.

I really like the image, love the perspective and overall colour palette. To me it has a David Shepherd look, feel, quality, be nice to see this big & backlit inO.R. Tambo International. Interesting to see you venture into composites, this could be an exciting new venture knowing your images. Hope to see more. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Very cool Peter - both the image and that you are posting again :cheers:
Congrats again on the baby - life changer of note eh?

I like the effect here, and appreciate that you disclosed that it's a composite. So many photographers of wildlife on other platforms like FB and 500px are just not honest about the lengths they go to in certain images.
I presume you have done this in B&W as well??

David Fletcher
05-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Hello Peter ! I fondly remember you as a winner in Nature in B&W category at BBC WPOTY 2011 for the image titled Big Foot and also for your image titled " Showdown " and i was deeply in love with both the images of yours especially the Big Foot, that image made me realize the importance to think differently on the field each and everytime and i am really grateful to you for creating such a wonderful image. Congrats on the baby ! As far as this image is concerned i am also alright as far as the photographer discloses wat he has done with the image and in this particular image the mood is totally brilliant . Pls keep posting as frequently as you can .

My congrats too Peter on your baby. been a long time since I was here. I'm not sure if the protocols have change here so I do sincerely hope it's not seen as an offence, but a different interpretation which you may like or see to enhance what you have already seen. did bit of work on the ele's but left the ghost ele' in bottom right as it adds an intriguing element and then touched up the sky as you'd spent the time to add it.

Peter, you have a fine art shot here ready to roll. Trust me, there is much more that came added. Best ele' shot I've seen for a bit

peter delaney
06-29-2015, 04:40 AM
Thanks Dave for the repost ..no offence what so ever , I am always more than happy to listen and learn.....
Thanks Steve..not passing thru ,,but there maybe gaps....appreciate the comments. I was hoping for London Heathrow but will settle on OR Thambo.
Cheers Morkel, Honesty is the best policy, congrats on your latest award....

Steve Kaluski
06-29-2015, 09:03 AM
I was hoping for London Heathrow but will settle on OR Thambo.

How much notice do you need nowadays, as you are of course, 'a family' man with duties/responsibilities? :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
06-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Cheers Peter, thanks :5

Arthur Morris
02-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Late to the party here and mazel tov on the young one :) I love David's crop a ton. As far as the rest, perhaps something half way between the two. IAC, brilliant. a

peter delaney
02-09-2016, 01:41 AM
Appreciate you taking time out Artie.. And thanks for the congrats on the wee lad..agree with your suggestions !

all the best from SA