PDA

View Full Version : Waves

peter delaney
04-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Hi

its been awhile since I posted. Fatherhood has kept me busy the last 8 months.
The image I am posting is part of series on waves photographed locally. I am fortunate to live close to the ocean.

Image was shot on mirror less FujiFilm XT-1 and Fujinon XF 40-150mm. I shot wide open @ F2.8 @ 1/1000.
the post processing was a mixture of using FujiFilm Classic Chrome and a little bit creative licence of my own.

Don Railton
04-18-2015, 07:29 AM
Hi Peter

I very much like the simplicity along with the dynamic tension setup by the lip of the wave about to roll over... Not so sure I like the colours, sort of makes me think it might work just as good/better? in B&W, but I respect you did what you did because you wanted too.... Interesting you choose F2, I would have choosen to add more detail in the foam chaos in LLC, but again it still works for me as it is so what do I know...? Good to see you back and congratulations..

DON

Dave Mills
04-18-2015, 09:58 AM
It looks like there is a good amount of detail in the foam but not much shown. Regarding the comp I like the division of the 2 water types but find the overall image flat.

Diane Miller
04-20-2015, 06:39 PM
I love the idea but would also like to find a little more detail in the FG wave, although the DOF may be a limitation.

I'm not familiar with the Fujifilm Classic Chrome processing step, but there are some unusual tonalities in the waves to the UR of the breaker. I assume it's intentional from that processing step, but if so I think I'd go further with some creative effects to emphasize that it is an artistic license thing.

What would you think about removing the darker area of the breaker along the bottom border? (Or including more of it, it this is a crop there.)

peter delaney
04-22-2015, 03:09 AM
Hi Don
Appreciate the feedback, sorry I should have given a little more info on processing,Firstly shooting wide open was to freeze wave and blur as much BKG as possible, secondly I added a blur to entire image to take away detail except for small crest of wave... B&W was an option that I tried but prefer the slight desaturated look...again all subjective ...

thanks again

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for explaining the post processing that you did. I like the comp and the post processing. I think this is the type of image that has more impact as a larger print whereby you can 'feel' the ocean wave (hope that makes sense). I think it may also be worthwhile playing around with Nik's Detail Extractor to pull out the details in the white water in the foreground...the nice thing with these images is the options available for playing around with them :)

Don Lacy
04-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Hi Peter glad to see you posting again. I keep coming back to this image and the more I look at it the more it grows on me I find the tension between the foreground with the wave falling apart and the middle ground to be unsettling at first but then my eye settles on the middle wave and the image comes together.

Morkel Erasmus
05-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Nice perspective here Peter, and I like the tonality achieved through the chosen processing.
I am watching your Fuji journey with keen eyes, as you know :cheers: