PDA

View Full Version : Cowslip

Jonathan Ashton
04-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Handheld Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L 11 Auto ISO 200 1/200 sec f8.
I think I have said this several times over the last few years but why are cowslips so difficult to photograph? I a never completely happy with the composition but I am at last after all these years getting closer (I think!)
I am not getting commission from Canon but if anyone is half considering getting the 100-400 Mk11 lens - my recommendation is get it! This afternoon I captured images of small tortoiseshell, and peacock butterflies, cowslips, marsh marigolds and pied wagtails, and Barney (my dog) diving into the local pond)- all with the same lens.

Norm Dulak
04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Canon sales pitch notwithstanding, I like this Jon. The flower, composition, colors, sharpness and background are all excellent. The vegetation below the flower sets off the beautiful flower. There is one truly minor thing that I think you could do to make this fine image even better. I would suggest cropping out the blurred area at the bottom of the frame, directly below the flower. It only occupies about a half inch on my screen, but I think it detracts a little from my overall impression. But this is very nice as is.

BenBotha
04-17-2015, 06:22 AM
I think practice makes perfect. I agree with the removal of the bottom OOF area. Rest-lovely image.
Ben

Ron Conlon
04-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Yellow and bright--a real challenge, but nicely met here. This has a lot of charm. I like the foreground variety of herbage, gives it a liveliness.

Allen Sparks
04-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Hi Jonathan,
Lovely image. Very nice tones and detail. Agree with cropping just a tad off the bottom.

Allen

Steve Maxson
04-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Hi Jon. Beautiful light, colors, and sharpness on your subject! I also like the ground-level shooting angle. The comp works well, as presented, though you might also consider going in tighter by taking some off the top and left. Very nice work!

Diane Miller
04-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Wonderful detail -- I'd also love to see a tighter shot. The backlight on the leaves is lovely but the grass isn't a strong feature, for me.

If it were mine I'd look at lightening the dark area in the BG and bringing more detail into the light things the flowers are emerging from. (Don't know what they are called.)

I second the commercial for that lens -- it's tack-sharp. I LOVE it, and having the close focus and zoom is wonderful!

Jonathan Ashton
04-24-2015, 04:20 AM
Thanks very much for the feedback everyone. I appreciate your views very much, I can see why you want a bit off the base, but in this case I will have to agree to disagree with you, I think the grass at the base is an essential part of the image to portray the plant in it's surroundings.