PDA

View Full Version : Glossy ibis foraging

Grace Scalzo
05-30-2008, 08:28 AM
On a recent trip to Delaware, I found a huge puddle formed by heavy rain. It was filled with cattle egrets and ibis that had come inland from the storm. I got up early to photograph them at sunrise, and had all of about 5 minutes of sun. Have had this in my file for a while, and am not sure #1 if I like it and #2 what could be done to make it better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1dmk2n, 500 + 1.4tc + blubb from car
1/250, f6.3, ISO500

Robert Amoruso
05-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Grace,

Wonderful warm light on the bird and great detail/color in the feathers. Only thing I would have liked better was to have you over more to the right to get a bit in front of the bird so it did not look like is was moving away from you.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-30-2008, 08:32 AM
The light and colors are great. I'm wondering if less contrast would bring out more details.

Fabs Forns
05-30-2008, 08:33 AM
If you were to print this, you'd need some more room around it, which tends to work for web, but not in prints. The grass in the foreground has to much DOF for my taste, I'd prefer to see OOF green.
Plumage looks spectacular, though :)

Grace Scalzo
05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for weighing in, Fabs, Axel, and Robert. I agree with all your thoughts, and think this one might just end up in the trash. For all that could have gone right with it, there are just too many things that aren't. I had so little light and so little time, that I don't think there are any others in this series that are sharp. Maybe someday I'll get another chance.

Fabs Forns
05-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't trash it, rather work on it some more. You can blur the foregound and use and inverse curve.

LouBuonomo
05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
I think love the light.. forground grass is a distraction for me.

David Hemmings
05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I think this is sweet, sure there are a few things, minor really, mentioned above, but overall the light and details make this superb in my eyes.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Stunning image Grace with spectacular lighting and gorgeous color and detail in the plumage.. I agree less depth of field would be nice but love it as is too. Fine work !

Kirk Benson
05-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I hope you don't trash it Grace, I think the overall look and feel is wonderful. I love the color and lighting especially on the bird, beautiful. I'm really not distracted by anything in this image. The ONLY thing that would have made it a real winner for me is a better head angle toward you. Very well done IMHO.

Freddy Franzella
05-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I like this image Grace! I would like to see it a little lighter.