PDA

View Full Version : Magee Marsh vs. Point Pelee?

Wendy Kates
04-15-2015, 09:52 PM
I am considering going to either Magee Marsh or Point Pelee during the second week in May. Which is better for bird photography? The boardwalk at Magee Marsh seems ideal, from what I've heard: is it possible to get as close to birds at Point Pelee? I don't have a super - long lens: 300mm with a 1.4 extender.

As far as dates, I assume the ideal dates are comparable at each location, but correct me if wrong.

Finally, how about the crowds...Magee Marsh looks a little overwhelming: how about Point Pelee?

Thanks!

Doug West
04-27-2015, 06:25 AM
I'll be going to Magee also during the second week. My advice is to avoid the weekend if you can. Its like
a small city shows up. I'm planning on going during the weekday...where it'll probably be more like a
small village in attendance :)

I stay off the boardwalk and scan the trees on the outside, etc. The boardwalk is sooooooo crowded,
especially near the entrance. Plus, its so dense.

I like being more in the open and scan the perimeter, the outer trees, etc. Then when the crowds
disperse a little, then hit the boardwalk.

f you do hit the boardwalk, the 300 will be perfect, bring a flash if you can. The 1.4x will help
with everything outside of the boardwalk.

Point Pelee, never been there.

If by some chance you go to Magee and if you're interested, shoot me an email on when you're going.
If it aligns with my plans, maybe we can meet up.

Doug

Wendy Kates
05-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks for your input, Doug. I decided that I just have too much on my plate this month at work, so I'm going to have to wait until next year to visit Magee Marsh. Enjoy...I'll look forward to seeing your shots!

Wendy