PDA

View Full Version : Common pasque flower (Pulsatilla vulgaris)

MiroslavMaric
04-14-2015, 03:34 AM
My favorite early spring flower of Velebit mountain.
5D3, Sigma 180mm f/2.8 lens, to avoid direct harsh sunlight I used white umbrella, handheld, f/5, 1/1600 (due to shake and strong wind), ISO800.
PP: a bit of tone adjustment and NR of BG.
Crop size: 3566 x 5349 pixels.

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Cheers,
Miro

Anita Bower
04-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Gorgeous flower and colors! Lovely details. I like the focus on the center of the flower, with softness around it. The flower on the right border is a bit distracting. What do you think of cloning it out? Nice bg. A beautiful image.
I'm wondering how you manage to hold a white umbrella over the flowers (which produced beautiful, soft light) and hand-hold the camera at the same time!

MiroslavMaric
04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Hi Anita,

Thanks for your valuable comment. I agree that right side could distract the viewing. I was in doubt what to do with the flower on the right side. To blur, to clone or leave it. Finally I leave it. I'm glad you like the flower! The plant is very rare and is highly endangered species.

I didn't hand-hold umbrella, I fixed the handle in the ground and used both hands to control my camera. I have used this technique on regular basis, it's very efficient to control outdoor light for macro.

Regards,
Miro

Anita Bower
04-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Hi Anita,

Thanks for your valuable comment. I agree that right side could distract the viewing. I was in doubt what to do with the flower on the right side. To blur, to clone or leave it. Finally I leave it. I'm glad you like the flower! The plant is very rare and is highly endangered species.

I didn't hand-hold umbrella, I fixed the handle in the ground and used both hands to control my camera. I have used this technique on regular basis, it's very efficient to control outdoor light for macro.

Regards,
Miro
Do you use a plain, white umbrella? or is it a special photo umbrella? Sounds very useful.

MiroslavMaric
04-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Do you use a plain, white umbrella? or is it a special photo umbrella?

Any white umbrella is acceptable to control sun light. However, I used some smaller and light umbrella purchased from eBay before few years. Just enter 'photo white umbrella' under eBay search and you will get a list of them. Some photo umbrellas have 2 layers, white and black with reflection (for indirect flash) so you can choose which one layer can be used (each layer can be removed). Hope it helps.

Regards,
Miro

Anita Bower
04-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Any white umbrella is acceptable to control sun light. However, I used some smaller and light umbrella purchased from eBay before few years. Just enter 'photo white umbrella' under eBay search and you will get a list of them. Some photo umbrellas have 2 layers, white and black with reflection (for indirect flash) so you can choose which one layer can be used (each layer can be removed). Hope it helps.

Regards,
Miro
Thanks!

Jonathan Ashton
04-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Miro I like the image very much, the details and colours are beautiful and it looks so natural.
My wife purchased a couple of these the other day and they are in the back garden so I will have to cancel my trip to Croatia! Great tip regarding the umbrella - just going to buy one now!

MiroslavMaric
04-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Great, the plant and umbrella are sold:S3:. Glad you like it. I have never seen the plant in the shop. What's about colors of purchased flowers? Do they look like on my photo? May&June months are the best time to visit mountains like Velebit in Croatia, so you have time to change your mind.

Cheers,
Miro

Ron Conlon
04-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Wonderful subject, wonderfully captured. I'm on the side of if you had propped the flower on the right out of the frame it would be even better... but love these guys and you really captured them in their prime.