PDA

View Full Version : Between the clouds and the sea...

Gerald Kelberg
04-14-2015, 02:19 AM
Even though I am not a "landscape photographer", Svalbard presented a number of amazing landscapes that needed to be photographed. Like when we were half way up a slope photographing Little Auks and a bank of cloud rolled up the fiord, leaving the glacier opposite in midnight sunshine.

I have converted the image in DPP4 and applied my usual techniques to bring out detail and enhance the contrast - using TK masks on the lights, darks and midtones. I'm aware the image has a blue blush, but I think I quite like it that way - straight B&W might also be an option.

My question is - do I need to take this any further, or is it working as it is?

Canon EOS 5D MkII, EF 100-400L IS @ 400mm, Hand held
1/800 sec @ f/14, ISO 800

Thanks for looking - all comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Gerald

Diane Miller
04-14-2015, 04:51 PM
It works for me! The blue gives it some very nice drama.

I never quite finish trying to extract detail, until the point where noise takes over. I don't use luminosity masks often -- I'm curious if you've tried a comparison using Nik's Detail Extractor and Structure? Or something like High Pass "sharpening" contrast enhancement?

Don Railton
04-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Works pretty well for me too Gerald...! My only suggestion is to push a little more for texture in the FG/ocean. The dark blue wont reveal much (I guess here) but that light streak might..

DON

Gerald Kelberg
04-15-2015, 04:55 AM
Hi Diane,
Thanks for your thoughts - always good to have!
I use the Nik Dfine for NR, but only very rarely will go to the rest of the Nik tools - maybe because I don't use them much, I am not very good at mitigating and modifying the results.
But I might try a High Pass filter and see what that gives me.

Best wishes, Gerald

Gerald Kelberg
04-15-2015, 04:57 AM
Hi Don,
Good to hear from you. In fact, there is texture in some of the FG ocean that comes out better on the larger sized image. Losing a bit of that detail on this smaller size.

Thanks and best wishes, Gerald

Don Railton
04-15-2015, 06:06 AM
Hi Gerald

I actually meant 'push for more texture...' I am at home now and on a better machine so I thought I would have a play, hope you don't mind.. I took the liberty of lightening the sea by using a reverse 'S' curve in a curves layer, to emphasize the texture you already have in the sea, I also did a little HP sharpening... I am sure you wanted the blue look and maybe the lightening is destroying your vision (hope not..) but I though I would show you my vision anyway...

regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
04-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Gerald I love this - works very well for me...
The blues, the layers, the mood, all there IMHO!

dankearl
04-15-2015, 07:41 PM
I like Don's RP for the added detail, but it is way too blue for me. The OP is as well.

Gerald Kelberg
04-16-2015, 04:44 AM
I guess that it is possible to tweak an image forever and always end up with a slightly different version / vision.

Morkel - thanks - always good to get your thoughts. Dan - thanks also - I knew the level of blues wasn't going to appeal to everyone, so that's fine.

Don, thanks for your input and taking the time for a re-post. Following your lead, I have reduced the darkness of the sea - not as much as you did, but to allow a bit more texture through.

I have also lightened the blues somewhat, but found that did reduce the drama - so have brightened the light mid-tones to try and get back some of that punch.

Is this still working?

Thanks, Gerald

Diane Miller
04-20-2015, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure which version I prefer. There is a tonal flatness that is even more emphasized in the RP and makes me wonder if the luminosity masks were targeted enough.

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Nicely seen Gerald...I do like the original post, but am leaning slightly towards your repost in Pane #9 as my preferred version. You have arranged the elements nicely and the blues give it a nice feeling of cold :)

Don Lacy
04-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Hi Gerald, I like the use of color and light here to create layers and depth to the image. I prefer the first post with the stronger contrast in the sea.

Gerald Kelberg
04-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks all for your comments and taking the time to consider my image.

I think I am heading back to the original post more in my thoughts - the darker sea and sky seems to give more drama to the glacier and the mountains with the 1/3:1/3:1/3 structure. I think that I could probably go on forever creating variations!

Best wishes, Gerald