Date: 8/4/2015

Camera Details
Brand/Model: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500mm F4L IS + 1.4xTCIII

Camera Settings
ISO: 2500
F-Stop: @f5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/4000s
Exposure Bias/Metering/Flash: +0.5 off the sky as a base exposure point.

Technique: Handheld looking up from the base of a tree. Focusing on the eyes to ensure I have the correct focus and enough DoF

Attraction Aides: None

Post Production: Highlight control with bringing back the whites and slight shadow boost to equal out the exposure. Sharpen mask used on the kite and minor saturation boost to the eyes.

Notes: This bright eyed Black-shouldered Kite was really interested in me and what I was doing, I drove by it hover on the side of the road and immediately had to turn around and pull over to grab some shots. Unfortunately at the time it had moved to a near by branch, but I think this shot turned out much better than anything else I could've captured. The Black-shouldered Kite is an amazingly nimble little raptor. They eat mostly large insects or small animals and have the ability to hover in the air without changing their position. This allows them to wait for the precise moment for when they can dive in and grab it.

Diane Miller
04-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Great detail with gorgeous soft light. Love the interested pose.

Bill Dix
04-13-2015, 12:54 PM
A beauty of a high-key shot. Gotta love those eyes. Nicely exposed under tough conditions -- only the bird's right cheek may be a tiny bit bright. I'd put a 1 px border around the image.

Robert Kimbrell
04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
An excellent stare you got from this beauty. I wish I could find one. I agree the right cheek looks a little hot. but the eyes are beautiful.