PDA

View Full Version : Lilac-breasted Roller

Steve Kaluski
04-13-2015, 04:00 AM
Probably one of the most photographed birds in South Africa, taken towards the later part of the day. Background is not ideal and no chance of moving, although perhaps reversing a fraction back may have offered a more 'clear backdrop', but you take what you can whilst out, as I would rather have one 'in the bag' rather than nothing at all :S3:.

Steve

Subject: Lilac-breasted Roller (Coracias caudatus)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 (560mm) HH
Exposure: 1/250s at f/8 ISO800
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop.
Subject distance: 9.6m

Jonathan Ashton
04-13-2015, 07:32 AM
Lovely colour rendition in the bird and excellent details in the plumage. If you have the inclination you could clean up the background fairly easily, having said that this is where they inhabit and I don't mind the twigs as they are out of focus.

Steve Kaluski
04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Cheers Jon, thanks.

Yes you could 'clean up' the BKG, but who are you really fooling at the end of the day, the audience or yourself? It's so easy with a set-up in the garden, on a perch where you can have the ideal background and can control the whole 'environment'. Ultimately with such 'shots' you have controlled of ALL elements, but out in 'the wild' it's less so, as you know only too well. How many people really disclose how much image manipulation, cloning do they really do to an image, very few. I guess this is a rather 'provocative' comment, however for me, how true do you stay to the image? :w3

Jonathan Ashton
04-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Cheers Jon, thanks.

Yes you could 'clean up' the BKG, but who are you really fooling at the end of the day, the audience or yourself? It's so easy with a set-up in the garden, on a perch where you can have the ideal background and can control the whole 'environment'. Ultimately with such 'shots' you have controlled of ALL elements, but out in 'the wild' it's less so, as you know only too well. How many people really disclose how much image manipulation, cloning do they really do to an image, very few. I guess this is a rather 'provocative' comment, however for me, how true do you stay to the image? :w3

I guess you stay just as true as you wish and if you want to clean up the background you do and if you don't you don't, and if it is for a nature/natural history competition definitely not. No big deal it is the photographer's choice - just be open:w3

Rachel Hollander
04-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Hi Steve - When I saw the title I thought it would be one from the sighting with the Vomba male against the blue sky. I think this particular bird has softer colors than that one. I don't mind the bg as there is enough separation and as you know I generally don't clean it up except for dust spots and maybe a specular highlight but always disclose it. Beautiful detail and sharpness. I might soften the circles under the tail.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
04-14-2015, 02:05 AM
Hi Jon, thanks again.

For me, removing the odd leaf, twig blade of grass, is fine, as they are small elements that really don't have too much of a role to play within the image, but I would struggle at a BKG because you are changing the 'environment' IMHO.

No big deal it is the photographer's choice - just be open

Indeed, and in all honesty in an image taken last week of a Moor hen running across the grass, the grass was peppered with daisy heads, I did remove them as the white highlights were distracting. Looks better, but if posted I would disclose the changes. It's an old chestnut that regularly comes up, and it all comes back to a personal POV :S3:. I hope Jon you are making the most of this nice warm weather we are experiencing. :wave:

Cheers Rachel, I know I constantly challenge you with regard to very minor manipulations, however you will always stay true to your images, irrespective:cheers:.

keith mitchell
04-14-2015, 02:46 AM
Steveall a matter of taste but think I might take the small bits out,the colours on this bird is superb,great piece of work.
Cheers from Japan.

Steve Kaluski
04-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Cheers from Japan.
Thanks Keith, hope you are enjoying Japan, I will look forward to seeing some image from there when you are back, trust all is good with you. :wave:

Steve