PDA

View Full Version : For Randy... and ....

Sandy Witvoet
04-11-2015, 05:24 PM
...and for everyone here that loves Loons. Here in Northern Michigan... it was "ice out" on Wednesday, 4/8/15 (FINALLY!)... and, right on schedule, the Common Loon pair claimed the lake yesterday, 4/10/15. They are already in courtship mode, and judging by their vocalizations overnight (yeah, I keep the window open!) ... are protecting their territory from "alien" loons trying to muscle in. It was a lovely "Loon Morning" today... flat calm, mist arising, beautiful sunrise....Surely made me think of Randy's awesome Loon images from the "Looney Two" (?). Our boat is going thru a total re-furb, so won't be on the water for awhile...darn. This is an image from last August.
Canon 60D, 400 f4 DO, f7.1, 1/800, ISO 640.

Daniel Cadieux
04-11-2015, 06:07 PM
A great time of year eh:S3: I like the low angle, alert posture, and greens in the water. Waiting until the loon swam fully past those bright streaks would have been ideal IMO. I could also see a version with the loon a tad lower in the frame. Well overall, and looking forward to more loon pictures this upcoming season!!

Sandy Witvoet
04-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Daniel... And, "Yah, definitely great time of year, eh?" :bg3: Yes, I wasn't too keen on the stripe either...but he started turning away right after this shot (even tho I always shoot AI Servo). Thanks for commenting! A bit lower would likely work nicely.

John Robinson
04-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Good stuff !!
I don't mind the light streak too much
Any more canvas on the right ? If not make some and stick it on !! (And take a bit off the left) Just my personal take.
No big deal. Evocotive shot.
John

Don Lacy
04-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Really nice pose and HA, I would crop off the bottom about half way from the loon to the current edge.

Sandy Witvoet
04-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks John and Don. Some off the bottom works for me...will help get rid of the "goobery" reflection. Appreciate your input!

Randy Stout
04-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Sandy:

Great to see a nice loon to get me geared up for the season. Good comments from above. Yes, to slightly lower in the frame, yes to avoiding the stripes of possible, but I have certainly had much more distracting, and the head position and angle outweighs the stripes for me.

If you could tease a bit more detail out of the breast, that would be nice. As I well know, not always possible for these guys however.

Thanks for the post!

Cheers

Randy

Sandy Witvoet
04-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Thanks Randy! Hoping it might get you "pumped up" for Loon season! Tried to get some detail out of the breast in RAW... too burned.... so just let it go. Thanks for commenting. And, looking forward to your images! Always inspirational.

David Salem
04-13-2015, 11:24 PM
Nice-looking frame Sandy. I really like the pose and the water color in this one. I would definitely take some off the bottom and maybe sharpen a bit more. Very well captured.

Sandy Witvoet
04-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks David! Appreciate your comments very much!