PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacles for Don

Jerry van Dijk
04-10-2015, 03:49 PM
I promised to post this ages ago as a color reference for Don Railtons wonderful sunset image of the Pinnacles in WA: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/123180-Pinnacles-WA?highlight=pinnacles
Unfortunately, work has been keeping me from my photography hobby for way too long!
We just had a quick stopover on our way to Perth, so unfortunately I was there with the unpleasant hard light of midday. I tried to make the best of it anyway using a circular polarizer. I tried to capture the otherworldy atmosphere you can experience in some parts of this special place.

D7000, 16-85 @ 24mm, handheld, circular polarizer, ISO-200, f/16, 1/60.
Some work done on the sky with digital gradual filters in ACR to correct polarizer artifacts.

Don Railton
04-12-2015, 04:45 AM
Hi Jerry

Thanks for this..! I like your composition with that FG rock 'pointing' to the clouds. I also like that you have included a lot of the sky with cloud which provides a pleasing colour mix that works for nicely me and is refreshing different from the 'all pinnacle' shots most take. From the coarseness of the sand it looks like it has just rained. I point out the wheel track RH edge, you may have decided to leave it or maybe its an omission, not sure obviously.

Best regards,

DON

Jerry van Dijk
04-12-2015, 11:33 AM
My pleasure, Don. Good call on the wheel tracks, I hadn't noticed them before. I'll probably choose to crop a little from the right and top to fix it, rather then cloning it over.
You are right about the rain. We had a terrible thunderstorm in the morning that luckily cleared up when we arrived at Lesseur NP which we visited right before the Pinnacles. If you ever go out there again, try to combine it with a visit to Lesseur. It's a beautiful place with a spectacular diversity of wildflowers.

Morkel Erasmus
04-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Nice-looking spot and lovely tonal contrast (earth vs sky).
I do wish there were more pinnacles on the RHS??

Diane Miller
04-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Amazing! The emptier RHS is OK for me, as it's balanced by that cloud, which doesn't want to be cut off.

What are these things -- petrified termite mounds??

Don Railton
04-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Amazing! The emptier RHS is OK for me, as it's balanced by that cloud, which doesn't want to be cut off.

What are these things -- petrified termite mounds??

Hi Diane

There are a number of theories as to how these formations were created but no one really knows. The surrounding area have a lot of large sandunes and its relatively close to the coast which has a lot of limestone reefs. It's a tourist spot with daily visits from Perth to see these at sunset. This link may be interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinnacles_%28Western_Australia%29.

DON

Dave Mills
04-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Interesting image...I also wish there were more pinnacles on the rt...seems unbalanced.
I think you did the best you could with the existing light but there is no substitute for good light....

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Hi Jerry, I do like this scene and also agree that more pinnacles on the right to help anchor that area of the composition a bit better. This looks like a great location with oodles of possibilities...I look forward to other captures you may have created here :)

Gabriela Plesea
05-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Hello Jerry,

Wonderful frame, don't let work stop you from your passion :tinysmile_shy_t:, I enjoyed viewing this image very much, thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,