PDA

View Full Version : Dawn in the Kalahari

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Another photo from the Kalahari - I shall soon have some more seascapes to share, don't fret :t3.

Single exposure from the deck of our cabin in the Kieliekrankie Wilderness camp in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 24mm
f8.0 | 0.3 sec | ISO-100

Dvir Barkay
04-08-2015, 02:38 AM
Awesome view Morkel, the ground has a slight redish cast and I know it is sunrise/dawn but I think that the sand could use a bit of red desat.

Morkel Erasmus
04-08-2015, 03:14 AM
Awesome view Morkel, the ground has a slight redish cast and I know it is sunrise/dawn but I think that the sand could use a bit of red desat.

Thanks Dvir - that would be typical colour of Kalahari sand.
Here's an iphone shot on a different morning, and the colour of the ground is realistic in both these. This shot shows our cabin and the deck from which the OP was shot.
:t3

shane shacaluga
04-08-2015, 03:23 AM
Nice image Morkel and nice tones all round

There seems to be a competition going on between sand and sky on this one. Not sure if cropping off a slice off the top or a slice off the bottom would improve this. Which one to cut is the question :)

TFS

Dvir Barkay
04-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Wow, it is really red, ever redder than you would find here in the American west, at least in the sand, here the rocks are red sand is yellow. Then I guess no red cast... :)

Dave Mills
04-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Nice lighting and well handled technically. I would have hoped for a bit more interest in the desert...

Andrew McLachlan
04-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Hi Morkel, overall a nice desert scene with nice colours in the sky just above the horizon...I only wish for more clouds in the sky for more of those great colours.

Don Railton
04-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Hi Morkel

Abs. beautiful sky...! I too think the desert is lacking a draw into the image to a focal point, maybe that path/little ridgeline off to the left might have helped here..?

DON

Jerry van Dijk
04-10-2015, 03:22 PM
Great colors in the sky! Because of the lack of a leading element in the FG, you might want to try to make better use of the repetitive pattern of the patchy vegetation and leave out the ridge on the left as well as the grass in the FG. One of those larger bushes could make a nice leading FG element?

Morkel Erasmus
04-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Thanks folks.
To the left on the ridge was another cabin. Looking back I should have included it for a strong anchor, but I still need to get myself into a mode of not being averse to include hand-of-man elements in my landscapes. They often add scale and dimension to the images, especially at wide angles.

Don Lacy
04-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Little late to this one Morkel but i love the sky but I think the image is to balance and since the foreground does not have much going on in it I would crop this so the horizon was in the lower third of the frame and make the sky the prominent focus of the image.