PDA

View Full Version : Theme Elephant at Masai Mara B&W

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Another attempt of mine with B&W. Ideally I should have raised the ISO to get more DOF but I still think the elephant is sharp and the BG subtly blurred.
EOS 7D
144mm
1/250
f/4
ISO 125

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Good call on DOF for this scene, Sanjeev.
I like that the elephant's head is not jutting over the top of the escarpment at the back (Oloololo Escarpment, I presume).
I would investigate a slight toning here, perhaps a hint of warmth/sepia? Personal taste though...
One thing that caught my eye that I would remove in the "print" version of this - an object BG left of the ele (game viewer?)...

Rachel Hollander
04-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Nice view of the ele in the environment here. The b&w works. Morkel's suggestion of adding a little toning is a good one. I would burn the tusk on the left slightly. Nice detail on the ele hide. I think the dof is fine.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
04-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Dear Sanjeev,

I think you've shown us a number of wonderful frames recently, this is just one of them. Beautiful landscape and I love the BG, I just personally feel you can get more out of the ellie here, he is a bit "muted" and needs to stand out more. I have never done a great job with my B/W conversions so this is just an experiment - let me know what you think please?

Kindly drop me a pm with your email address so we can chat from time to time:w3

Warmest regards,

D. Robert Franz
04-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Nice composition here... Not a big B&W fan but this works well! Great detail in the elephant!

Andreas Liedmann
04-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Hi Sanjeev i like the comp and the placement of the elephant in the frame . Overall i think OP is a bit flat , Gabriela has addressed this thing with her RP . Nice detail in the subject .

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Hi Sanjeev, would echo Andrea's feedback, keep experimenting and looking at other 'mediums', worth persevering.

TFS
Steve