PDA

View Full Version : The morning after...

Diane Miller
04-06-2015, 07:09 PM
... the lunar eclipse. Only about an hour and a half after the very brief total phase. Taken with a shorter lens, in the same general direction. Canon 5D Mk III, 100-400 II at 200mm. ISO 400, f/9, 1/100 sec, tripod.

Basic Lightroom processing and into PS to use a luminosity mask for a touch of increased contrast in the highlighted rocks. The orange came out a bit flat. I rarely find uses for LMs but one worked well here.

The shadows looked very blue and of course registered even moreso, but I toned it down a little.

Don Railton
04-07-2015, 05:04 AM
Hi Diane..

I have been fiddling with everyone else's images so thought why not yours as well.. I agree the oranges especially looks a bit flat so I did a simple S adjustment using curves, probably over cooked it, what do you think..? You got to love a gal that's happy to sleep under the wing... most impressed...

DON

Diane Miller
04-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Don, that is an improvement! Always good to see how others see things. I thought I was pushing it a little too far, compared to the low-contrast raw file, so held back somewhat. But I'll go back and give it more punch. It may be exaggerating the truth of the scene, but our eyes do expect a full tonal range in many cases. There were some respectable mountains to the east as well, so the sun had been up a few minutes by the time its light hit the Sierra and I was surprised to see as much color as I did. Further north the eastern horizon is much flatter and you can get better color.

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Nice textures, colours and contours here Diane. My immediate thought was that it could do with some punch, which Don sorted out nicely.
I think too few people use telephoto lenses to isolate elements of the landscape like this, I love it personally.

Dvir Barkay
04-08-2015, 02:39 AM
Very nice Diane, I personally feel that something in between yours and Dons would be best. Feel you on the blue casts in the shadows, no shot like this has no blue casts ever from my experience with all dslrs.

shane shacaluga
04-08-2015, 04:50 AM
I like the composition with the valley on right and peak to the left. Combination of colours also works well and a bit of extra punch in the RP has worked well

Nicely done

TFS

Andrew McLachlan
04-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Hi Diane, very nicely composed and I too like Don's repost for the added punch. I couln't agree more with Morkel's comment about using your 100-400mm to extract this scene from the grand landscape...my favorite landscape lenses are my 18-35mm and my 80-400mm

Diane Miller
04-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks, everyone! I guess I have telephoto vision -- I'll usually go for extracting a landscape element with a long lens. And I think my trusty classic, the 70-200 f/2.8, has been replaced by the new 100-400.

Jerry van Dijk
04-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Lovely tranquile scene! I like Don's repost a lot. A BW conversion Ansel Adams style could work well too for this image.

Don Lacy
04-23-2015, 09:42 PM
Hi Diane, I Couldn't help but play around with this just some quick mask to ad mid tone contrast , darken the shadows and punch up the reds.

I thought I was pushing it a little too far, compared to the low-contrast raw file, so held back somewhat
Go where you heart and feelings tell you to go don't pay attention to your head anyone can reproduce a scene no one else can replicate what you felt when you stood there and took the image.

Diane Miller
04-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Good thought, Don, but brings up the interesting (and forever unresolved) issue of how I felt vs. how it plays to a viewer who wasn't there. I think the latter is more important within the latitude that an image will still remain "good". That must be what keeps most of us posting -- to see how others react. I usually find that I alter my first impression when I can see an image through others' eyes. And that is one thing that BPN excels at -- the reposts! (Not sure everyone in all the forums appreciates them, though.)

Translation: The light was on the "quiet" side, but it sure looks better pumped up!