PDA

View Full Version : Broken down Boat House #2

Don Lacy
04-06-2015, 06:38 PM
This is a rework of my first attempt at blending two exposures, on my first attempt I used a combination of a gradient mask and hand painting this time I hand painted thru a luminosity mask only you can view my first attempt here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/113560-Broken-Down-BoathouseI also went with a differnt crop on this version.

1DMKIII, 17-40 f/4 at 29mm, 4s at f/16 for the boathouse and 1s at f/16 for the sky, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 50, Tripod,

Diane Miller
04-06-2015, 06:51 PM
What an amazing sky! I love the composition and the blend looks perfect. You got a richer sky here and the reflection in the water is just wonderful.

I'm curious how it would compare to do a traditional HDR, although there are so many flavors of them... I don't think it could beat the result you got here.

Dave Mills
04-06-2015, 09:59 PM
A home run Don....Diane said it all for me....

Don Railton
04-07-2015, 03:47 AM
Hi Don,

Wonderful....! , nice lead right through to the sky...Love it. There is something in the water vertically above your name just below the horizon. Not sure if its a float in the water or dust..

regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Hi Don. I actually prefer the look & feel of the first version (the one you linked to). It just feels more naturally exposed with a pleasing tonal gradation to me.
My own taste influences that, of course.
I think if you had lightened the docks a bit less here it would tip the scales for me, as I do like this more "intimate" composition of those elements.

Andrew McLachlan
04-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Hi Don, flawless...I love it!!!

Jerry van Dijk
04-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Great work on the luminosity masking, Don. The sky looks amazing! I do feel that the pier is a bit too light for the light conditions suggested by the sky and water, making the image look a bit unnatural. I'd be inclined to lower the exposure on the pier with half a stop or maybe a whole one. All in all very well done! I prefer this one over the OP, because I like that we see structure on the wood of the pier.

Grady Weed
04-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Don

I like OP for the sky and water, better colors and a more natural feel to the overall look. The above image here has a better look to the pier and boat house, more detail to the wood structures. This post also has a more intimate feel. Just my 2 cents. Very nice work. TFS

subramanya_ck
04-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Wow, riot of colors. Very nicely done