PDA

View Full Version : Pinned Down..

Andre Pretorius
04-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Started playing with Radial Filter in LR, and it went on from there..
CS6 with some masked exposure, contrast and curve layers.
D&B layer and a re-crop.
The two Gemsbok bulls were in a serious fight, the victor has his opponent pinned down to show his dominance.

Nikon D3S with 600f4
Manuel with Auto ISO
1/1250 @ 6,3
ISO 2800
+1/3 EV

Dennis Bishop
04-06-2015, 10:22 AM
I like the vignette effect and your treatment resulting in the background and the less important parts of the foreground not distracting from the action. It took me quite a while, though, to realize that I wasn't looking at a single bull with his head on just the head of another one. I'd be inclined to probably use some additional dodging and burning to darken the one in the back and lighten the belly of the one in front to separate the two.

Cheryl Slechta
04-06-2015, 06:40 PM
This is a very powerful image, Andre. I like the strong vignette and the perspective. I think Dennis makes a good point about trying to get some separation between the two. I hope to see more of your work here:S3:

Hazel Grant
04-07-2015, 11:02 AM
yes, same thought re the two heads Is the defeated one buried in sand with only head up? Hard to tell.

Diane Miller
04-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Very cool image! I agree about separating the two a little more. Must have been quite a scene to watch!

Andre Pretorius
04-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Thank you all for comments and suggestions. Cheryl, I do not think "out of the box" that often, but I keep on trying to expand my horizons...
Dennis, thank you for suggestions, tried an RP- WDYT?
Hazel, but there are two tails.....!:t3Tried to separate them more in RP..
Diane, you must be there to experience it...

Cheryl Slechta
04-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Much better, Andre! I'm glad you're thinking OOTB:S3:

Diane Miller
04-08-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm still not sorting out the legs clearly and just realized the left rear leg of the dominant animal is almost lost in the dust. Maybe it could be brought out more. I assume that's the other animal's leg just behind it. OK for my eyes if it remains cryptic.

At any rate, it's an interesting puzzle!

Jackie Schuknecht
04-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Unique coloration, I kept wondering where the shadows on the face were coming from.:S3: It is puzzling to me to figure out where the second animal is actually positioned, but that might be more evident in a larger (print) file. Love the vignette and the b and w.