PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitive Fox Games..

Andre Pretorius
04-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Shot one morning in the Auob riverbed.

As I approached I spotted the commotion in the centre of the riverbed some distance away. Light was not on my side and the action was too far away..
As all photographers do, could not help but to try and capture the special moment, at the back of my mind the thought that it might work, but it never does....:t3

Bat-eared foxes are monogamous- here we have the family together playing, and not a fight with an intruder. It took a while to figure out what was going on as the third fox was the same size.
They rolled and ran all over the place.
The highlight of the sighting was when one came up closer to investigate the vehicle before scurrying off over the road towards their den.

Did not notice the grass stalk until I downloaded...:Whoa!:

Nikon D3S with 600F4
1/1250 @ 5,6
ISO 2500
+1/3 EV

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2015, 03:13 AM
Delightful capture and story, Andre!

Love the fox "bundle" as well as the chase - these guys are so fast!

Unlike Cape Foxes, whom we have had opportunities to photograph more often, Bat Eared Foxes are very skittish and especially when it comes to people. I don't remember ever seeing Bat Eared Fox babies, I assume their dens are well away from the road. Here we have a youngster who is close to adulthood and almost ready to begin his own family - love the playfulness and the chase, this could well be one of the last lessons in survival he gets from his parents.

Thank you Andre - enjoyed viewing, much appreciated:w3

Rachel Hollander
04-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Hi Andre - Looks like a fun sighting and they do look to be the same size. I think the middle image is my favorite though the last one is very different from the others and gives us a good look at the fox.

TFS,
Rachel

Carl Walker
04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Nice sequence of pics captured here Andre. I have never had the opportunity to view them for any lengthly period so great viewing experience here. Well done. Love the interaction and behaviour captured here.

Andre Pretorius
04-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Thank you Gabriela, Rachel and Carl!:S3:

William Dickson
04-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Great sequence Andre. Fantastic action. I had to look at the first image very closely to make out what was happening :bg3: Thats my fave out of a great set of images. Brilliant capture and thanks for sharing

Will