PDA

View Full Version : A more natural House Finch

Warren Spreng
04-04-2015, 03:52 PM
My last one looked a bit like an illustration, I liked it, but I think this one represents the bird a bit better. Perch set up near feeder, Canon T3i, Tamron 150 - 600mm, 1/250, f/6.3, 400mm, ISO 800. It was cloudy with storms on the way, but the sun was poking through for this shot. Tripod No idea what this one must have been eating right before perching on the branch!

Diane Miller
04-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Very nice! Good detail, classic pose on a good perch with a lovely BG. There is some magenta-blue creeping in -- should be remedied with some tweaks to Temp and Tint in the raw converter. That would probably punch up the reds, too, as a bonus. If it makes the BG too bright, just lower the saturation of the yellows a little.

A lot of the birds I shoot near my feeders have green stuff on their beaks, and I've wondered what it is. Do they eat grass or leaves?

Warren Spreng
04-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Very nice! Good detail, classic pose on a good perch with a lovely BG. There is some magenta-blue creeping in -- should be remedied with some tweaks to Temp and Tint in the raw converter. That would probably punch up the reds, too, as a bonus. If it makes the BG too bright, just lower the saturation of the yellows a little.

A lot of the birds I shoot near my feeders have green stuff on their beaks, and I've wondered what it is. Do they eat grass or leaves?

Thanks Diane! I'll check out the Temp and Tint and see how that changes things. No idea what the green stuff is either, I'll have to do some searches to see if anything turns up.

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Dear Warren,

Lovely image of this House Finch, he stands out so nicely against that soft background. Despite the lighting conditions and relatively low shutter speed your subject is quite sharp. Nice depth of field too.

Good advice from Diane and the colour casts should be easy to fix. Love the placement of the bird in the frame - well done, hope to see more images from you:5

Kind regards,

Warren Spreng
04-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Dear Warren,

Lovely image of this House Finch, he stands out so nicely against that soft background. Despite the lighting conditions and relatively low shutter speed your subject is quite sharp. Nice depth of field too.

Good advice from Diane and the colour casts should be easy to fix. Love the placement of the bird in the frame - well done, hope to see more images from you:5

Kind regards,

Thanks for the comments!

Edward Arthur
04-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Lovely BG and the clouds were a big help smoothing out the light. Great timing and clarity. It always cracks me up to see what bits of whatever cling to their beaks.

Warren Spreng
04-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks Edward!