PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a "bridge" camera?

Kent Wilson
04-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm planning to go on a trip to Costa Rica with family, and would like to travel light. I am looking for a light weight camera with a zoom lens up to 600 mm with quick and accurate autofocus, since I am interested in photographing wildlife, BIF, as well as landscapes and people. I'd prefer Canon because I'm familiar with the controls on 5DIII and 7DII, and hope the menu system and controls would be similar, but performance is more important than brand. Price around $600. Any suggestions?

Michael Moore
04-05-2015, 08:07 PM
The SX60 is the obvious choice. I use one when I don't want to lug the dslr. When used within its limitations, it can take great photos. Those limitations are typical of most small sensor cameras: bright light so you can use ISO 100 and reasonably stable subject so the autofocus can lock on. No bridge camera will match the speed or precision of your DSLRs and few are much use for tricky BIfs, although the SX60 can do BIFs with big slow flying birds. Also can't match the low light performance of a DSLR. Finally, you have to get used to a larger autofocus area, meaning it's not much good at focusing through branches and tends to lock on foreground objects. Make sure you practice a lot before your trip.

Here re is a sample.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RJK2gn7hZyI/VNL08B8jxoI/AAAAAAAAaJA/bPj26yR6MYs/s800/IMG_4760_150204_SX60%2520HS.jpg

Kent Wilson
04-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks, Michael. I was considering this camera as well as the SC50. I appreciate your mentioning the limitations of these cameras. I have a Panasonic FZ200, but really dislike it. The lens hood falls off at the gentlest touch, the menu system isn't very intuitive to me, the paper manual that comes with it is useless.

The SX60 is the obvious choice. I use one when I don't want to lug the dslr. When used within its limitations, it can take great photos. Those limitations are typical of most small sensor cameras: bright light so you can use ISO 100 and reasonably stable subject so the autofocus can lock on. No bridge camera will match the speed or precision of your DSLRs and few are much use for tricky BIfs, although the SX60 can do BIFs with big slow flying birds. Also can't match the low light performance of a DSLR. Finally, you have to get used to a larger autofocus area, meaning it's not much good at focusing through branches and tends to lock on foreground objects. Make sure you practice a lot before your trip.

Here re is a sample.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RJK2gn7hZyI/VNL08B8jxoI/AAAAAAAAaJA/bPj26yR6MYs/s800/IMG_4760_150204_SX60%2520HS.jpg

David Stephens
04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure if you have a 7D MkII and a 5D MkIII, but, if you do, I have to wonder about owning those and not taking one on a trip to Costa Rica. I don't know why anyone would own those bodies and not be salivating to take one on a trip to Costa Rica.

Kent Wilson
04-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Hi Dave - I own both and can understand your puzzlement. I am going with family, none of whom are serious photographers and none are especially patient with the idea of waiting for me to take photos. For wildlife, I expect I'd find a longer lens useful, and for other subjects, shorter lenses. I have read that a 70-200 mm lens would not be too good for birds in Costa Rica. In short, I'd need a body and two comparatively heavy lenses as opposed to a light weight (but inferior) camera with a built in zoom in the 28 - 400 or 600 mm range. Since I'm 78 yrs old, the lighter gear is attractive, both for carrying when there as well as carrying on planes. That is my thinking, and I'd welcome being shown to be mistaken ($600+ welcome when it comes down to it). Thanks for responding.

David Stephens
04-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Hi Dave - I own both and can understand your puzzlement. I am going with family, none of whom are serious photographers and none are especially patient with the idea of waiting for me to take photos. For wildlife, I expect I'd find a longer lens useful, and for other subjects, shorter lenses. I have read that a 70-200 mm lens would not be too good for birds in Costa Rica. In short, I'd need a body and two comparatively heavy lenses as opposed to a light weight (but inferior) camera with a built in zoom in the 28 - 400 or 600 mm range. Since I'm 78 yrs old, the lighter gear is attractive, both for carrying when there as well as carrying on planes. That is my thinking, and I'd welcome being shown to be mistaken ($600+ welcome when it comes down to it). Thanks for responding.

You're only "mistaken" if you truly would miss the results that you could get with your better gear. I would and I cannot imagine going to Costa Rica without my heavy artillery. Of course, I'm a comparatively young tyke in my 69th year.

I'm traveling later this week with 7-friends and I won't be taking the 500mm because I'm not expecting great birding opportunities where we're going; however, I'll have my 5D MkIII, my 15mm, my 24-105mm, my 70-200mm and both the 1.4x and 2.0x TC-IIIs. That rig covers lots of ground and fits in a compact bag. If I were going to Costa Rica and couldn't carry my 500mm, I'd substitute my 7D MkII for my 5D MkIII, for its higher pixel density and resulting resolution advantage. My friends don't worry about me and I simply keep them in site and they eagerly await the vanity book that I'll publish after the trip. They love that and all but one or two has stopped carrying a camera. They'll say something like, "Dave's getting it, I'll wait for the book". Really.

I find it hard to believe that a camera with a teeny-tiny sensor is going to beat your 7D MkII with you 70-200mm and one of the teleconverters. Even at over 100% crop, my 7D2 produces stunning images.

That said, I hope you have a wonderful trip. Ciao my friend.

Kent Wilson
04-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks again, Dave. Will 7DII autofocus work with the 1.4 telecoverter with the 70-200 f/4 L IS lens? If so, you've convinced me. This plus the 28-105 and 100 mm macro. I'm not feeble!��. Thanks again. All best, k

Grady Weed
04-08-2015, 10:09 AM
You're only "mistaken" if you truly would miss the results that you could get with your better gear. I would and I cannot imagine going to Costa Rica without my heavy artillery. Of course, I'm a comparatively young tyke in my 69th year.

I'm traveling later this week with 7-friends and I won't be taking the 500mm because I'm not expecting great birding opportunities where we're going; however, I'll have my 5D MkIII, my 15mm, my 24-105mm, my 70-200mm and both the 1.4x and 2.0x TC-IIIs. That rig covers lots of ground and fits in a compact bag. If I were going to Costa Rica and couldn't carry my 500mm, I'd substitute my 7D MkII for my 5D MkIII, for its higher pixel density and resulting resolution advantage. My friends don't worry about me and I simply keep them in site and they eagerly await the vanity book that I'll publish after the trip. They love that and all but one or two has stopped carrying a camera. They'll say something like, "Dave's getting it, I'll wait for the book". Really.

I find it hard to believe that a camera with a teeny-tiny sensor is going to beat your 7D MkII with you 70-200mm and one of the teleconverters. Even at over 100% crop, my 7D2 produces stunning images.

That said, I hope you have a wonderful trip. Ciao my friend.

What David said!!! Costa Rica and your camera bodies. Find a new family and friends. LOL. Seriously, ask them to be more patient. Tell them you might not be around much longer. I sincerely hope you have fun, live longer and find true enjoyment with your life sir. Take good images, for you!

David Stephens
04-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks again, Dave. Will 7DII autofocus work with the 1.4 telecoverter with the 70-200 f/4 L IS lens? If so, you've convinced me. This plus the 28-105 and 100 mm macro. I'm not feeble!��. Thanks again. All best, k

The 7D MkII with the 70-200/f4L/IS and the 1.4x TC-III, works great. You will hardly notice any difference between the bare lens and the lens with the TC.

Dennis Luz
04-26-2015, 10:49 PM
I have the Panasonic FZ200 and agree that most, if not all, bridge cameras have severe limitations, especially because of their small sensor and slower focus ability. However, I have no trouble with the FZ200 lens hood falling off after I figured how it locks in place. I am used to Canon's DSLR system but the Panasonic's menu system also takes some getting used to. I also agree that the Users Manual that came with the camera is virtually useless, but the online PDF version is much, much more comprehensive. The camera does take great photos in good light. The wide-open Leica lens at f2.8 throughout is sweet. My only complaint is that it is poor for BIF shots, sometimes flow to focus and the noise issue also limits one to shoot in low ISO.

Dennis Luz
04-26-2015, 10:52 PM
________
If the 7D+70-200/f4L IS +1.4TC focuses on my camera it should have no problem with your 7D II