PDA

View Full Version : Canaveral National Seashore Sunrise

Robert Amoruso
05-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Taken 5-6-08, 6:50 AM at Canaveral National Seashore.

I am interested in how people feel above the inclusion of the blown-out sun. Work? Not work?

Notice I used AV mode and not manual. I am bracketing my images to have multiple versions to choose from. Not for HDR initially, just more variety in deciding the best overall exposure. ROMAN: 3-stop GND Hard Edge used and probably a three or size-stop ND filter(s) too.

When I do HDR with this type of image I find that the artifacts in and around the blown-out areas are excessive - Photomatix used. Two lens flare patterns cloned out.

I like the criss-cross of the waves at the bottom.

Canon 1D Mark III
24-105mm @ 28mm
15 sec, f/22
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
Exp comp: +1
ISO: 50

Roman Kurywczak
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey Robert,
Actually it doesn't look that bad on my laptop...........will check on the desktop later.......but I do see great definition in the water..........so for me this works! May have wanted the sun a bit to the left for the ROT placement............but great use of the 3 stop grad ND :D !!!

Robert Amoruso
05-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks Roman.

Actually Artie has a "Rule of Fourths" for horizontal format images of birds. Place the bird in the 1/4 vertical. I like doing that for the sun too because as you noted, the water has great definition.

Harold Davis
05-30-2008, 06:04 AM
i dont mind the sun at all! looks good. that water is awesome. great colors. nice job, robert!

Nancy A Elwood
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I really like it! The sun does not blow the details of the water. Very relaxing. Also, like the shutter speed for the water.

Paul Marcellini
05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Love the treatment of the water. Very nice effect there. The sun does bother me a little in both position and being blown. A reverse grad nd put vertical over the sun probably would have been perfect. It still would have blown but probably not as intrusively.

Robert Amoruso
05-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Good suggestion Paul. What I really need is a ND filter that is a strip to cover the sun and reflection only.

I have some w/o the sun at the same time. I was going to post one of those next.

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Robert,
Since I love spending other people's money :D.............Singh Ray makes just such a filter(got it)............a ND strip.........but I'm not usre it would have worked because even though it is 4x6.............you may not have been able to get it far enough over without revealing the filter edge. You could do a HDR........but remember that I liked it as is!

Gus Cobos
06-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Lovely subdued sun and great water. I like the feel of this one congrats Robert...:)

Rich Ikerd
06-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I really like this sunrise Robert, including the strip of sand. Gives the impression of a nice watercolor sunrise. Very nice technique to capture the beauty of our sunrises.

Grady Weed
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Now this is a pleasing arrangement. I like the inclusion of the sand strip, the soft feel of the colors while still keeping the deep hues of red, yellow and oranges. The creamy water and the long reflection of the sun strip is a bonus. I do not mind the "blown" sun look". It does not look blown or harsh. Some will disagree, but that is what makes it interesting eh? Very nicely done. I bet a large wall print looks gooooooood!