PDA

View Full Version : Red-eyed Treefrog

Steve Maxson
04-02-2015, 02:52 PM
This Red-eyed Treefrog (captive,wrangled) was photographed in Costa Rica. This species is nocturnal and during daytime is typically hunkered down on the underside of a leaf looking like an inconspicuous green blob. Thus, most of the daytime photos we see of this species are of individuals roused to wakefulness. I chose to expose this shot to simulate twilight (other exposures could have been tried for a different look). 1D IV, 100mm macro, 1/200, f/14, ISO 200, off-camera 430EX flash (diffused), AF, hand held. I removed some of the flash-generated spectral highlights. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Diane Miller
04-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Wonderful sharpness and light on a great subject! The frog is so amazing, I'd be tempted to prune the piece of the plant near the left edge. Then you have the perfection of CGI!

shane shacaluga
04-03-2015, 06:18 AM
This is a great image. Very sharp and DOF is just right. I like the fact there is "substance" in the background even if it is dark

Maybe bring the shadow up a bit by the shoulder of front leg to see the blue a bit more?

Great work and TFS

Norm Dulak
04-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Beautiful subject and composition, Stephen. The dark background really showcases those amazing colors. And the shape and colors of the diagonal perch further enhance this image.

Jonathan Ashton
04-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Top notch Steve, wonderful detail and colours and I think you have very importantly got a hint of detail/structure in the background. It really is a cracker well done.