PDA

View Full Version : Soft waves in Namib Naukluft

Andreas Liedmann
04-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Hi all a seldom visit from my side here in landscape section :bg3:.
I took this image moons ago with old kit , so IQ could be not as good as todays level :S3:, nevertheless i post this !
Location is somewhere in Namib Naukluft Park in Namibia .

Canon EOS 20 D
Ef 100 - 400 IS L at 100 mm
HH

F 16 ; Iso 200 ; 1/90 sec

Processed with DPP and PS CC; slight crop from top to get the corner matching the dune top .

Thanks for looking ; C&C more than welcome.

Cheers Andreas

Gerald Kelberg
04-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Hey Andreas,

Love the composition - the curves and the ridge lines - and the PP isn't too rusty either! :t3
If I really wanted to be "picky" - and I know you like that - I would evict some of the very small bushes and blemishes that are on or at the edges of the frame on the left side and the base, and maybe that one tree half way up the right side.

Best wishes, Gerald

Andreas Liedmann
04-02-2015, 05:04 AM
Hi Gerald .......... yes give it to me :5 !!
Thank you for your comment , much appreciated .
Good points you came up with , i think will enhance the image and gives cleaner edges, will make an RP .

Thanks again Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
04-02-2015, 05:11 AM
Here you go, Gerald

Valerio Tarone
04-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Andreas,hi. i think this kind of images need a good balance of lights and shadows:so, if it were mine, i should crop off a bit of the top(too much of shadows) and a bit of the bottom. of course in my modest opinion. i understand that's different as Gerald's idea. I'll see what others think.
cheers.

andresleon
04-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Lovely composition and color. I really like the shadows and how you captured them here. Only thing I noticed is a bit of noise on the upper portion of the image. Nicely done, though!

Don Lacy
04-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Lovely use of light and shadow Andreas, my only suggestion would be to crop some off the top.

Don Railton
04-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Hi Andreas,

What a wonderful image..! I agree the top of image is a little heavy, so my suggestion is to either lighten the side of the dune in front of the ridge line leading to the top LH corner and darken behind the ridge to make that line more dominent, else crop a little off the top as others have suggested..

Don.

Marc Mol
04-06-2015, 06:30 AM
I like it just as is Andreas, ceratinly nothing off the top as it requires the ridge line entering the ULHC, the tones and shadow play working nicely here.

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Hello Andreas,

So nice to see you posting in other forums, what a lovely surprise:w3

Fantastic colours and I just love the velvety quality of those dunes!

I feel there's a tad too much of the shadow area at the top - would you perhaps consider taking off just a little? My reason for suggesting this is, I find my eyes wondering for too long at the top, at the same time I get more enjoyment from looking at those golden wavy dunes. Hope this makes sense to you?

A very pleasant image to view, and hopefully more to come...thank you Andreas:cheers:

Don Railton
04-07-2015, 04:54 AM
Hi Andreas, I have had another look at this at home on a better machine & screen, and my suggestion now is just to darken the area top RH corner behind the ridgeline. For me this makes that ridgeline leading up to top LHC a lot more prominent and I fell that is worth more than retaining the slight detail you have currently in that dark corner top RHS...

regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Really like the fall of light on the dunes here Andreas.
With the composition as presented, it really needs the "backbone ridge" of the vertical (top to bottom) dune to be included IMHO, therefore I would crop a lot off the top to focus on the horizontal dune belts??

Andrew McLachlan
04-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Hi Andreas, I agree on the crop from the top...there is some nice interest in the bottom half of the comp, but the interest gets lost with the large expanse of dark on top. I do like that the edge of the dune is in the ULC, but as said I don't think there is much to hold our attention in the top portion of the comp...any chance you created some horizontals too...I could see this working better in that orientation.

Andreas Liedmann
04-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions , really appreciate your input :5.
I am 50/50 on your suggestions regarding cropping from the top , fully understand your points :wave:.

Cheers Andreas

dankearl
04-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Another vote for "off the top".
Beautiful light....