PDA

View Full Version : Theme Under the Winterthorns

Morkel Erasmus
04-01-2015, 04:18 PM
I always seem to run out of superlatives when talking about experiencing a moment on foot with an elephant in Mana Pools. It's one of the most humbling, awe-inspiring and gratifying things you can experience when on safari, and in this case we were spending time with a young bull not far from the Zambezi riverfront at sunset on a very hazy afternoon (seasonal fires to thank for the haze).

I crouched down low at the base of a Faidherbia albida (Winterthorn) tree, and decided right there and then that I wanted to capture a photo that's as much (if not more) about the tree (and the trees of this unique region) than it is about the exceptional wildlife encounters that can be enjoyed under the canopy of these trees. Drawing from my experience in landscape photography I tried to wait for an opportune pose from the elephant (who was foraging for the pods dropped by these trees in the late dry season), and framed my shot.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 28mm
f16 | 1/160 SS | ISO-6400
On foot!
In hindsight, given the haze, I should have shot without the circular polariser to save some ISO :e3

Rachel Hollander
04-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Hi Morkel - That looks like one huge tree. Nice scene with the distant river. I think the haze adds but agree you could have dropped the ISO. I keep looking at it and find myself wishing for a bit more separation between elephant and tree. In other words having the elephant a little more to the right. Not a deal breaker by any means. There's some slight halo/ghosting along the tops of the trees on the right.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-01-2015, 10:26 PM
A very nice scene Morkel. The light is gorgeous and the size difference makes the image very interesting. You have used the wide angle to great effect and I can sense how close you might have been! TFS.

D. Robert Franz
04-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Cool shot with a bit of humor! How fortunate you were to have the rare pygmy elephant to happen but at just the right time :bg3: Seriously.. Well done!

Gabriela Plesea
04-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Awesome scene, Morkel. I wanted to take a break from viewing and go process something for a change, but I could not resist opening this thumbnail: the size of this tree is humbling indeed!

I gather the ellie was foraging at some distance from the tree, but he would still look like a mouse if he came closer:) Some clever thinking behind this image and I like what you achieved, very much. Lovely warm colours and you managed to capture and possess the beauty of the scene so well. A memorable image, after seeing this I really want to go to Mana:w3

Warmest regards,

Marc Mol
04-03-2015, 05:04 AM
Love the overall tones & lighting here Morkel, in that old cliche "ideal world" would have loved the ele facing the other way, but take what we have here anytime.:bg3:

I'm suitably impressed (at least in this small web resolution) on the ISO 6400 quality on the D800, nicely processed.:w3

TFS

Andre Pretorius
04-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Hi Morkel

Well composed and exposed. Love the reds from afternoon sun.
Can see the halo around BG trees.
Is this on the way back to the main camping area? Have not been for many years, but the area look familiar..

Must use my wide-angle more!:2eyes2:

Andreas Liedmann
04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Hi Morkel love the soft light, colors and tones in this well composed frame with the pygmy elephant . Well controlled exposure with lovely detail in SH/HL .
Well one day ............. i stay under that tree.
Picking up the halo(s) from Rachel and Andre ..... well guys halos are more or less visible if being picky around all little twigs and branches where they meet the bright sky :wave:.

Still a nice frame Morkel , TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
04-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Hi Morkel,

very nice scene indeed. I as well wish the elli would be a bit more to the right in this image to stand out a bit more.
The light I wish we could take along in our pocket and throw it into the air to have it overtime we wanna too :w3

Have a great eve

Ciao Anette